Options

How Do You Transport a 60lb E-bike While Towing?

GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
I have a Jack-It Carrier but wouldn't dare try to put a 60lb bike on it.  The only thing I can think of is removing the front wheel and placing it in the trailer.
2021 T@b 400 Boondock
       Oneonta, NY

Comments

• Options
    stp2136stp2136 Member Posts: 16
    Our Rad Power folding ebikes fit inside the tow vehicle, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I had the same problem with my Rad Rover.  I installed a front fork bracket to the floor of my TV.  Removed the front tire and locked the Rad fork to the front bracket and also secured the rear tire.  What a pain that was each trip.  Decided to buy a Rad Mini folding bike and have loved it ever since.  So much easier to get into and out of the TV.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    I have started traveling with a Folding-eBike. While there is enough room with a pickup TV that could/did handle a full-size eBike fine, the folder is a bit easier to store - - - gives me more cargo packing options then with the full-size.

Both eBikes have 65-70 # weights when ready to ride.
    For both removing the battery and storing in trailer or TV sure helps with the lifting and could help your bike carrier.

: : : Full-size:  Evelo Aurora Limited, mid-drive IGH. One battery on frame + one extra
    : : : Folder:  Lectric XPremium, mid-drive, Shimano freewheel 7-sp, two batteries on frame

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    DukeHewettDukeHewett Member Posts: 41
    We just put 1,800 miles with 2 - 40 pound bikes on the "Jack-It" rack.   We went over many really bumpy roads, and I was actually amazed that we didn't crack a weld or break something.   I did replace the original bolts with longer grade 5 bolts and double-nutted them.   I still don't have a good feeling about hauling that kind of weight on the racks, and would monitor it every stop if we do that again.   Getting the bikes up high and on and off the rack is not a real easy feat. I just wish we had lighter bikes when it comes to that.   Your results may vary....
  • Options
    schwartzkischwartzki Member Posts: 46
    This past summer I had both bikes on fork mounts on the header rail of my pickup bed, that worked then but new tow vehicle is a X5 diesel and if the bikes don't go on the roof(too much weight) I am not sure where they would go. No good solutions at this point.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock (7200+ miles)
    2022 - 11 trips - 34 nights
    2023 - 4 trips - 21 nights and counting
    --------------------------------------------------
    2018 BMW X5 xDrive35d (17 mpg towing avg)
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (10.9 mpg towing avg)
  • Options
    jva1000jva1000 Member Posts: 2
    I put a second receiver hitch on the front of our TV (Chevy Colorado Z71) to carry my wife's ebike. It is the only bike up there and i put it as close to the bumper as I can. Given that it seems to ride fine (a lot less torque than four 25 lb bikes spread out along the bars). Only issue is the collection of bugs and rock dings! (Other bikes go on the Jack-It.)