Norcold 3way

2018 Tab 320s.  When on shore power the indicator light is on but will not get cold. When on battery power the indicator light is on it will not get cold. The propane will light but will not get cold. This last trip this past week the trailer was leveled in all directions. I am stump. Any advice??

Comments

• Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 433
    Possibly the fridge died a premature death. An absorption fridge uses a pressurized mixture of ammonia, water and hydrogen contained in a maze of tubes. If it leaks and loses pressure the fridge stops working. 
    Your trailer should have two covers in front of the door. Remove these and look for yellowish residue which would be a sign that the system has leaked. 
    While the covers are off you can also turn on the fridge and check the temperature at various locations. The wikipedia page on absorption refrigerators has a nice thermal image for comparison. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Sorry, I'm with @Grumpy_G on this one.

Sounds like your Fridge has died.
    I've just completed a short duration trip with my 2018 Rig.
    It worked great on 120VAC, 12VDC, and Propane.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    I have searched the internet for an answer to the question below with no luck. Hoping someone will have the answer to this question:
    What should the ohms reading be for a properly functioning DC heating element for a Norcold N180.3 3 way refrigerator, part No. 638748. 
    Thanks. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Freespirit said:
    . . .
    What should the ohms reading be for a properly functioning DC heating element for a Norcold N180.3 3 way refrigerator, part No. 638748.

I would think it is a fair assumption that the N180.3 DC Heater Element is nearly identical to the Model 3136 as far as Electrical Specifications.

Both Fridge Units have the same 12VDC Operation Specifications for Voltage & Current.
    Both Fridge Units have the same 12VDC Wiring Circuit (excluding the N180.3 lamp)

So isolate the DC Heater Element from the 'indicator lamp' and compare its resistance to the 3136 specification provided in the 3136 Service Manual.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    @MuttonChops, I think you are correct! I never thought to look at model 3136. I have isolated the DC heating element and the multimeter gives me a reading of 1.006 ohms. I think the DC heating element is functioning correctly. 
    Thank you for your post, you saved me soooooo much anxiety that my DC element was not working. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @1bentbike, sorry to ask what might be obvious, but do you know it takes at least an hour for the fins to even start to feel cold? ie: I always pre-cool our 3-way for a day before needing it.

Has it worked for you in the past?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya