Mod to make 2019 320 headboard split like newer models

Anyone made the mod to make bed headboard so only 1 side can fold up or down like in the newer models? What is involved and needs to be changed? I have a 2019 320, Thanks Art
2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge

Comments

• tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
     Yes, @gulfarea Art, I did that mod. A Jillion staples need to be pulled to get at the back cushion frame. The frame needs to be cut in half to one side of the center board. A new board needs to be added to the frame lacking the center board. All four frame uprights need to be modified at the lower/front areas to get clearance for the hinges. I bought new matching upholstery and back fabric from Weaver the OEM cushion maker (on cushion tag). I was able to find a pair of hinges on Amazon for the middle locations. They were lower profile than the original, meaning they don't gouge into one's back as much.  

The mod works but not worth it for time and expense for me to do again. I don't like woodwork or upholstering. An electric stapler was a must!
    A mod I did like was make top swing hinges for that back/headboard which allows one to get under the back cushion to get into the abyss to retrieve lost objects or soft item storage.
    PM me for more info.
    Tom
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 522
    @tybladesmith Thanks, seems like more woor than I want to tackle! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • stephengstepheng Member Posts: 111
    @tybladesmith I'm actually going to do the opposite and replace the split back with a one-piece one.  I'll make the new frame, but need to know the thickness of the plywood on the foam side of the frame. How thick is it?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    @stepheng, It is hard with the upholstery in place to measure but I think it is 1/2" thick. 
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 174
    @stepheng where are you located? I have a 2020 with the Bertollini upholstery (grey with black dot accents). Assuming we have the same - which we probably don't - I would consider swapping my one-piece back for your two-piece. 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium