Options

Removable Portable Solar Panels on Tonneau Cover

Anyone ever attach portable solar panels to their tonneau cover? I have two 120W Bluetti folding solar panels I use when boondocking and to top off my lithium battery when on shore power (have older non-lithium converter). I put a Victron Solar Controller in my tub with a solar connection port on side. Would love to come up with a way to attach those folding solar panels to my factory folding tonneau cover on my Honda when going down the road and disconnect them and place them wherever when I get to the campsite. Just curious if anyone has done it or has some thoughts on it. 
2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
More Smiles Per Mile! B)
Enjoy doing and sharing mods

Comments

• Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    edited January 2023
    I’ve thought about doing the same thing but with the thin flexible panels that I could permanently mount on the tonneau. But after thinking about it more, I’d probably spend the money on a DC-DC charger. I have solar on the roof of our boondock so I’m already getting that benefit -at least if the sun shines and I’m driving the right direction. But on cloudy days I get nothing and panels on the tonneau wouldn’t either. 

Having a DC-DC charger would diversify my charging opportunities. DC-DC while driving, solar on the roof, plus our portable Renogy panel that I can place where needed while at camp.
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    bubbazanettibubbazanetti Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2023
    I’ve come to the the same conclusion about a DC to DC. 
    Will order this today. Kind of an all in one charger, controller …
    https://ca.renogy.com/50a-12v-dcc50s-dc-dc-on-board-battery-charger-with-mppt/?showHidden=true
    Kootenays, British Columbia
    2015 Little Guy T@b, TV - 07 Honda Ridgeline

"Good friends beware! the only life we knows Flies from us like an arrow from the bow, the Caravan of life is moving by, Quick! to your places in the passing show.”