Options

Li ion battery upgrade, heated or not?

I’m considering upgrading to a pair of li ion batteries. I live in New England, what are the pros/cons of self heating vs. non-self heating batteries?

2022 T@B 400 BD, with 2-way refrigerator and AllPro Awning
TV is a 2021 Honda Passport Elite w/ transmission cooler and Redarc Liberty Trailer Brake Controller

Comments

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    I use 2x cheap Weize 100Ah LiFePO4 ($300 each) batteries wrapped with a couple layers of radiant barrier with a 12v Facon RV tank heater pad under them (layer of 1/8" aluminum between the batteries and the heater pad to distribute heat). The heat pad turns itself on at 45 degrees, turns itself off at 68 degrees. Keeps my batteries - which are in the front box on my 320 S) in the mid 50s even in freezing temps. I can cut power to the heat pad with a simple toggle switch I wired up.
    It's worked out great. I don't see any reason to invest in self-heating batteries.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I live in Mass and chose heated BattleBorn batteries when my AGMs perished. We have traveled in the winter with low temps and it was worth the upcharge for the heated batteries for our type of travel. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,673
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    Also in N.E. and installed two battleborn 100ah heated batteries under the seat.  So long as you turn the heater switch on they enable charging in cold weather.  Have not tested below 25.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck