Options

Completed-added an EMS to our 2023 T@B 400

RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 106
edited April 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades
Our first real mod to our 2023 T@B 400 will be adding a Progressive Industries EMS LCHW30 hardwired surge and electrical protector. We decided to install it in the compartment accessible by the hatch on the passenger side.
We spent some time this morning removing wood panels, drawers, etc. to get a good look at the routing of wires. It appears the easiest method will be to disconnect the 10GA (orange) main cable at the distribution panel. We'll then reroute it to the EMS and run a new line to the panel. Thoughts?

BTW, with everything exposed it is easy for us to take pics of anything you may want to see...
2023 TAB 400 Boondock
2018 T@B 320 Sold
Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun

Comments

• Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2023
    So this is an eerie coincidence! I just finished with a cover over my fan and now I am doing the same install as you today. Bottom line is I have come to the same conclusion.

I pulled the bed panels and after fixing a loose inverter and battery which had bounced up and over the tab meant to hold it in place moved over to the drawer between the sink and stove...just like you. I have not yet opened the panel below the drawer since I had to come inside and do my day job for an hour or two (on a Zoom meeting right now :) no video obviously.

It makes perfect sense to install at the breaker panel. I had no idea there would be room. I will soon find out. It will make a very clean install to move the romex from the main breaker to the EMS and run a new wire to the main breaker. Super clean...no need to cut...no need to try and find slack. I am going to see if I can find a good way to mount the remote monitor near the rest of the control stuff by the entrance door to the camper.

So, yeah, sounds good to me! Posting pics would be great...saves me the trouble  :)
    73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    @KK1L I meant that we are going to install the EMS under the bed (arrow in picture).

That way we can see any error code looking through the outside hatch when we first hook up to power. Don't think there is room back in the cabinet with the WFCO (or at least I wouldn't want to pull out the WFCO to get to any vacant space). Once unhooked from the distribution panel (WFCO), the supply cable is loose and will be relatively easy to pull back to our intended location. Then we'll just add more cable to complete the circuit. It looks like 6FT will be more than enough.
    Let us know how your install progresses. And thanks for the input!
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    ChiprchukChiprchuk Member Posts: 22
    Any pointers to where to get the small breaker / panel?
    Tab 320-S Boondock Edge 2019
    T/V Ford Ranger 2023 4x4

• Options
    Chiprchuk said:
    Any pointers to where to get the small breaker / panel?
    Not quite sure what you mean. Can you explain the question in a bit more depth?
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    edited March 2023
    Some years ago we were going to install one of these, but were told by dealership that it would be ruined protecting the camper electrical systems. This would leave us without a source of external power, so we bought a quality external device instead (we have used it for some 15 years without a problem).

Is this true?  If so, should an easy bypass be installed in case it fails?
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @kottum I had installed a hardwired EMS (with the remote display) in the 320 we bought in 2018. It tripped a few times over the years when we hooked up to bad campground pedestals, thus saving the onboard electronics. Not sure why you'd want to bypass it.

The only caveat we found to using the hardwired EMS is that it doesn't like when you hook up to some generators. It reads as a ground fault error and will not allow electricity to flow (as I understand it, this issue can be overcome with a neutral bonding plug on the generator).
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    I finished the job. Installed behind the breaker box under the bottom drawer between the stove and the sink. There is an access panel. Pretty easy. No cutting existing wires.

Jericho, VT
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    You da' man @KK1L!  I was thinking I was too old to get back in there. Maybe I'll take my vitamins and try it later.

Edit to add: Looking at mine, the neutral bus bar is further back, right where your EMS seems to be mounted. Que Sera Sera...
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    61yrs young. Move it over. It is pair of screws. The wires won't mind :):)

I did not have to move mine. I would have thought about moving it to the forward side of the space. Either works...or of course where you were planning is a fine place if you don't have the remote head. You can see the gray/silver "telephone" cord in the shot. I pulled it through to under the sink and might ultimately mount it with the other control stuff by the door.
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 152
    That is a nice fit! I have been considering putting an EMS in the same location. I will have to shift around my ground bus bar, my last mod was getting a bus bar with more terminals (really don't like doubling up if I don't need to) which is now a wider bus bar.  I really do prefer keeping any source of additional electromagnetic energy (EMS) away from the sleeping quarters (i.e., anywhere under the bed) so this is a prime location.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    @KK1L If I recall the side walls are very thin, what length screws did you use to mount the EMS so that screw points would not protrude into the adjacent area??
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    1" sheetrock screws. I don't se any protrusion on the opposite side. I think there is a space.
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Completed our install today. This is the unit without the remote and is located in the well on the passenger side. At the time of ordering the unit with a remote cost $160 more than this unit. I drilled 1 1/4" holes in the plywood and ran the 10-2 Romex through the chase.

Below you can see the (orange) Romex in the chase right after we ran it all.

2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    Very nice.
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    I ended up putting the EMS in the same area as @KK1L, behind power distribution center but rather than mounting the hardwired unit on the right wall (by the ground busbar) I mounted it the left wall.  When I disconnected the romex from the WFCO and connected to the EMS there was just enough cable with some service loop to mount to the left.

I removed the cable clamp that held some bundled wires to that wall and it only used a 1/2" screw since the wall between that area and the storage under the sink is only 1/2" thick.  I used 1/2" screws (x4) to mount the EMS.

I routed the the remote display cable into the nautilus compartment and installed just above the compartment's light. I'll laminate the error code and mount it to the nautilus access door when I get a chance.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    @subkron That is not a bad idea for the remote display location. I am sure I will tire of the bright red LED display being anywhere in the main cabin. Heck I put a strip of black eletrical tape over the blue porch light switch so only the edge emits blue. I might put it next to the battery disconnect though. Have not decided. Thanks for the idea.
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    edited April 2023
    I mounted the remote display behind the TV and cover it. It needs an on/off switch.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    If you use a Honda generator, you may want to verify it will work with your progressive ind.surge protector. We learned the hard way that our Hughes surge protector would not until we added a ground-neutral bonding plug to the Honda. Not sure if that is an issue with PI. 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Good point to mention @xdr. The Progressive Industries EMS will trigger with most generators too because of the floating neutral. As you mentioned, the neutral bonding plug does the trick and allows everything to work with our Champion brand generator.
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    The remote module contains a mode switch (see pic) so that when "Bypass EMS" is selected you can run from a generator with open ground. Of course not the way to go (progressive even references this for use in an emergency), but in a pinch you would be relying on generator output management for protection. As stated the bonding plug is the solution.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey