Options

Apex Rainier vs Original spare tire

Greetings, My wife and I are planning to go from Seattle to Alaska via the Alaska Highway this June in our Tab 400 Boondock. Over and over I have heard the importance of having good tires for this trip, so I lowered my spare for inspection and discovered it is NOT a matching 235 75R-15 Rainier, but a much smaller 205 75R-15 street tire.  Has anyone put a Rainier on the spare rim, and will it crank up under the frame where the smaller spare goes? It seems like a poor choice to run potentially hundreds of miles on a smaller street tire than a matching  off-road tire. Thoughts??? Erich
Erich & Simone
2022 TAB 400 Boondock “Boo"
2023 RAM Rebel 1500 5.7 eTorque

Comments

• Options
    swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
    When I purchased my 2020 T@B 400 Boondock, I ordered a matching Rainier tire and aluminum rim for the spare.  On my trailer, this spare fits nicely in the same place as the original, smaller spare was stowed.
    I don’t have any experience with the original steel spare rim, as I traded it in for the new setup.
  • Options
    mikenadortmikenadort Member Posts: 1
    We pulled our 400 from Florida to Alaska and back last summer and had no problems with tires on the camper or our truck. The roads aren’t as bad as some make it sound. If you do need a spare the one that you have should be fine.  I did run over a nail on a different trip and the spare tire worked fine.