Options

2021 320S Trim rail lifting out at rear bend.

Hi, I tried searching for this issue as I thought I've seen this before. I noticed this last fall but it seems to be getting worse. NuCamp had no ideas for me to fix this myself and as I think it's outside of warranty, I'd like to take a stab at fixing it myself. The plastic rail is not cracked but it looks like the clips holding it to the structure have let go. Since this design is new to this vintage, I'm hoping it wasn't a design issue that has been fixed on newer years. The end of the rail is coming up where it wraps tightly around at the rear curve.
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    djcdjc Member Posts: 7
    Hello. From what I have read this is a very common problem. Your trim appears to be cracked and broken likely under the rail.  We had 2 pieces of trim fly off on the highway so this is definitely a safety issue.  

I’ve ordered new trim but am concerned that it will likely reoccur.  It’s something that needs to be monitored and the costs of replacing the trim can add up.  
    Search “cracked trim”

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Thank you @djc I searched for the term, but I think all the issues were for pre 2021 rails or other plastic trim. Specifically, my issue is the rail trim only found on the newer 2021 models (at least on the 320). There are no visible cracks, I believe the clip inside has broken so the plastic is not held down. I don't want to pry more in an attempt to "pop" the rail off without somebody else doing it first ( sigh ). I will call my dealer on Monday to see if they've seen this and fixed it but this forum, I figured would have an answer!  Since the design change is new, I'd expect only the first units to have been around long enough to show this. I remember hearing this new design was to fix some of the earlier problems.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 189
    We also have a 2021 320S Boondock and have experienced the same problem on both sides.  Last year I contacted NuCamp and they sent me some new clips and some adhesive.  I pulled the trim off and spent some time with a file, trying to make the plastic trim profile better fit the profile of the trailer.  I reinstalled the trim with new clips and the adhesive.  The driver's side stayed down but the passenger side came up again.   It looks just like your photo.

I've currently given up on completely fixing the problem.  I've traveled 6k+ miles over the past couple of years in winds of 30+ mph with the passenger side sticking up and things are still in place.  I may get motivated this summer and pull the whole trim off and fiddle with it more - or I may just leave it the way it is.  

My guess is on the early 2021s with the new trim, NuCamp and whoever they had making up the trim didn't quite get the curve right and it will forever cause problems unless I cough up the money to buy replacement trim.  But now some of the trim will have 2+ years of sun and the new ones won't, so it might not look that great.  
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho