Options

How to pay for a used T@B safely?

For those of you who have bought or sold used TABs, what did you do to reduce your risk?

It occurs to me that one approach would be to meet the seller in the lobby of a branch of my bank, inspect the trailer, withdraw the money and transfer the paperwork there. Has anyone done this?

Also, I assume that I would have to (somehow) get tags and insurance for the trailer before driving it home?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Can't speak to the payment part but you can just call your insurance agent and if nothing else get a rider - you might want to discuss this ahead of time. Don't know about NY but I would think you have X number of days to transfer the title and get new plates. Speaking of titles, make sure you get a clear title.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2015
    Anymore, I would meet either at a bank in full view of one of the managers and make sure they are aware., or do the same thing at a police station, both also in full view of a surveillance camera. How about wiring the money to the other person's account? I'm not sure if there's a fee involved, but then there's a paper trail. There's no paper trail for cash. A cashier's check would have a paper trail, also.

I've advised my insurance agent with all 3 of my Little Guy's that I would be towing it back home from "X" place and I would give them the VIN, etc. when I got back. I've taken the teardrops and  T@B to the agent to show them the condition and to verify the VIN, and so the office ladies could see the cuteness factor!

Also, if you can get the VIN beforehand, you can have the local police run a check n the VIN to make sure  everything is good and legal with it. I had the VIN on my two used teardrops before I went to complete the transaction and I checked on the first one. The second one came from a dealer so I wasn't as worried about it. There was no worries about the T@B ;)

Tags--there's no problem. The seller could loan you their plate and you mail it back when you get your temporary or permanent plate, or just have the title and bill of sale with you in case you're pulled over. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Awesome , I figured someone had done this!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Verna's done everything :-)
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    ......or has she? Bwahahaha!
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Verna's done everything :-)

Have not!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”