Options

Outdoor storage in northern climes

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
A question for T@Bbers in northern states and Canada: Would there be any problem with storing a T@B in my yard for the winter if it is properly winterized and under a T@B trailer cover, and I take the battery inside?

Our coldest temp last winter was -15F/-26C as I recall.

My neighborhood doesn't have a HOA and when my town proposed banning RV storage the RVers won. I'd park it on a grassy area away from the driveway where the snowplowing service couldn't hit it. This would save us several hundred dollars a year in storage fees.
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Nope, so long as it is properly winterized and covered you should have no problems.  I store the T@Bpole in the driveway year round with no problems, though it is on shore power.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic, where are you located? Your camping map doesn't look like you're a northerner  :-)
  • Options
    I am in Virginia, but we do get our fair share of snow and sub-zero temps.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    You think that's winter? We have WINTER. 
  • Options
    I have been to Upstate NY in the winter, I know what the snow and temps are like up there.  Storing the T@B outside would be no problem so long as it is winterized correctly.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    photomom,  I`m in ohio and we get cold and snow too!!   I know you live the snow belt capital of the world...  my sympathy..   last winter had my tab on back patio and covered...  worked great.... Have the tires resting on something solid...not just the grass...   happy camping..    Manny...   2015 L-Max   p.s. cyclonic loved all the pics from tearstock  .. we had a blast..
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    As of two weeks ago there were still piles of unmelted snow in neighboring Buffalo!
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    We are in the "snow belt" also, (NE Ohio). Average temp for all of last February was 15F.  Tab winterized, batteries in the garage, everything is fine.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2015
    Photo, we just made sure to remove the accumulated snow from our Tab's roof.

The "piles of snow still in Buffalo" story belongs on Snopes. We don't need any more weather-hype in Buffalo. The weather reporters do enough of that.

It kills our business!

We've actually had a gorgeous summer!

B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    No offense intended! We had snow really late here in Rochester too!

We looked at our yard today and the "best" place to store a camper is on the other side of the house away from the driveway. Moving it there would necessitate somehow getting it across about 100 feet of level grassy yard. My husband thinks backing it over there using the heavy Highlander would mess up the yard. I think there is no way we'd be able to move it that far using the handles on the trailer (no matter how easy the dude in the T@B videos says it is to move.)

Does anyone else have this dilemma and how did you solve it? 

Has anyone used a trailer valet (http://www.trailervalet.com) or similar product to move a camper over grass?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Well, I'm on my way outside to move my T@B to the side yard with my 4x4 Tacoma, in preparation for my the delivery of my new kitchen cabinets tomorrow. 

The Tacoma and the T@B (nor your Highlander and your T@B) will not damage your grass.  Trust me, because I've had two teardrops and two boats in that parking spot in the side yard. 

The one thing you do need to make sure doesn't happen is to let the tires cool down from highway driving before you drive on the yard.  That will burn the grass.  Also, try to be as efficient as possible in taking as little time as possible having the Highlander running while on the grass.  The engine will burn the tips of the grass, but it won't cause permanent damage.  The thing I always hated was backing into the yard and burning the grass with the tires.

And, don't move the T@B when the ground is soggy....that might leave some ruts, but if you have an good established lawn, your Highlander is not heavy enough to permanently damage the grass or ground.

My personal opinion and experience, other's may vary.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Ha! No offense taken!

Some of us crazy Buffalonians actually embrace winter - or try to. I admit,come March this year, with three feet still in the back yard, I headed for New Mexico!

But I gotta say, the weather reporters have gone with the same schtick as the news shows, that of getting everybody all worked up, often for nothing.

My DW and I are in retail, and it hurts when everybody stays home cuz the weather report was scary. And, as we all know, the weather report is usually wrong!

Back to your subject! Our lawn is hard packed with lots of clay soil, so we drive on it all the time - except in the spring, when mud is everywhere... And in that case, even moving the Tab will make ruts.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Lol, in December in Rochester we don't have to worry about anything burning the grass. 
  • Options
    Like Verna sez.

I worked on a golf course for a number of years a long time ago, groundskeeping. We drove vehicles everywhere except the greens and the ponds. No, I take that back. Drove a cart into a pond once too.

I suppose if your lawn is like a golf green... B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya