Options

Using. Generator

How long will a generator last on propane if just using the AC? And what load percentage is it? Sorry this is the first time to boondock using just a generator. Do we need to get an adapter when using the generator as well? I got a 2400 watt Champion inverter. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    What year and size is your Tab . . . 320 or 400.

There are several Air Conditioner; window, Air8, CoolCat used across the models and years.

Also what Fridge does your Tab have; 3-way so power is propane while boondocking or compressor 12VDC . . . generator will be powering.

Will you have a stand-alone 20# propane tank for the generator or are you planning to use the TaB's tank?
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    The documentation for the generator will give you an idea of the run time at various loads and fuel sources. It will be reasonably accurate. The questions from @MuttonChops will help you understand your load.

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    wissaponastarrwissaponastarr Member Posts: 2
    It will be a stand alone (possibly) and I have a three way with my Tab 320S . I am not worried about using the fridge. I just mainly want to use the AC
  • Options
    wissaponastarr said:
    . . . have a three way with my Tab 320S .
    . . . mainly want to use the AC
    Okay, there are many variables that will impact the actual Generator Fuel Consumption Rate so any calculated estimate should be considered a rough approximation. You should plan the Generator usage knowing a large + / - factor in hours of operation is possible.

If the Generator is used like Shore Power then other trailer loads . . . 120VAC outlets and the Power Center will create additional loads that will reduce the Generator operation hours.  If you wish to get the maximum Generator Hours for running the 320S air conditioner:  Suggest you turn-off all the other possible VAC loads.  At the Power Center; Main Breaker on, all other breakers Except the A/C unit set to off.  This way the 120VAC outlets will be dead and most important the Power Center Convertor will be off - - not charging battery or supplying cabin lights, etc - - The trailer will use the Battery for all 12VDC loads.  If you have solar the solar should do a fair job of recharging the battery.

As noted earlier there are two types of A/C in the 320S.
    You need to know which your rig has.

If the A/C is an Air8 (ducted) System you should get around 17 hours of Generator time.

If the A/C is a Window Unit (older model years) then the Generator time could be 28 hours.

Both are very good IMHO . . . as most folks run the A/C in late afternoon, early evening to cool the cabin for sleeping and by the early hours of morning just a Fan is needed to be comfortable.

• Options
    wissaponastarr said:
    {original post}
    . . . Do we need to get an adapter when using the generator as well?
    Sorry, should have commented on this earlier as you might now be boondocking - -

In general the male end power plug of the Trailer Shore Power Cable does not match the Generator female socket types.

My (gasoline) generator came with an Adapter for use with RV Power Cables.

Doing a at-home driveway test is highly recommended to confirm you have all the needed little pieces.