Options

2023 tab 400 isotherm refrigerator

My refrigerator will cool to 5c.the manual states it will cool to 5c
all fridges should cool below 4c,40f, to keep food fresh
this is at a setting of 7 ,so max cooling

Comments

• Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    Same issue here. Setting must be on 6-7(Max) to get to 40F.
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    Richard_RRichard_R Member Posts: 38
    Same with mine. Even at max setting, it doesn't like to always stay at 40F.
    — Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
    2023 F150 Hybrid (PowerBoost drivetrain)
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,195
    My smaller isotherm (under the stove) has had issues cooling (documented it somewhere on this forum). If outside temps are high 80s or higher it starts to struggle. The problem is the interior temps of the camper. It can be controlled if you’re on site but if you have excursions planned and nobody is around and the trailer is locked up, the interior temps just get too hot and the fridge struggles even with the rooftop vent running with a window open.  
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Interior temp is not the problem in my case. Overnight temps in trailer were in the 60's for 4 nights and 6-7 settings still required to maintain 40F. Could be a thermostat issue. Can the thermostat be tested/adjusted?
    My dealer is 300 miles away, so that is not an option.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    I just completed 19 nights with my '23 400 and the Isotherm, outside temps from mid 90's to 50's and didn't have any troubles as mentioned above...I think it was set at 5 and maintained 40F, both in transit and while hooked to shore power. When I've turned temp gauge to 7, it's cooled to low 30's. 

When it's in the locked position, vs storage, are you able to open the door 1/8" by any chance? Meaning the latch isn't tight enough? When I first got mine last fall, this was my problem. The freezer built up frost fast and water leaked out in transit. The magnetic seal on the door wasn't really sealing well and could open 1/8". I had to partially pull out the fridge, remove the upper front metal grate piece and adjust the latch piece so it would close tightly. I also added velcro at the bottom to ensure it stays closed tight in transit. Just a thought-maybe air is getting into the fridge to warm it.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Debbie, thanks for the input.  My first trip the slide was in storage position...Door came open in transit, picked up the mess and moved the latch to lock.  After that the door seemed tight and magnetic seals were tight.  Might just be my thermostat is set wrong.  I get 40F between 6-7.  Only other thing I can think of is that when the door came open it stuck on the star gazer window frame and may have twisted the door. Will try to look for leaks but is seem tight.
  • Options
    I contacted NuCamp, but they just said check the vent/lock setting, pre ool food, etc. (did all that, no change). I spoke to Isotherm and they suggested removing the drip tray (only needed during defrost) to improve circulation of cold air from the freezer to the fridge.  There is no thermostat adjustment. Only other suggestion is lack of cooling air in the cabinet.  My 2023 400 is now is storage, so I can't test it.  If anyone with the cooling issue can remove the drip tray, let me know.
  • Options
    Problem solved.. I removed the drip tray and got below 40f on setting 3, before it was 7.  Interior trailer temp was in low 80s.  Thanks to Mike at Isotherm.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    I removed the freezer door as well and that seemed to help.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,195
    @DaveC Thanks for the tip. I have the smaller Isotherm under the stove and have had issues once exterior temps hit the high 80s and 90s. The fridge will constantly run and struggle to maintain 40f. We’ve never had spoiled food but have come close. Gonna give this a shot on our next trip.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a small fan from Amazon that operates on 2 d cells. It is a cube about 2.5” square.placed at bottom of fridge to circulate air in the fridge. Now the fridge can get to mid 30f easily. The problem is the temperature probe is at the coldest place in the fridge, and cannot be relocated like normal rv fridges.
    I have used this on other trailer fridges with great results.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Member Posts: 4
    thanks to the post on removing the isotherm fridge defrosting tray. fridge cools nice now to under 40f
  • Options
    Richard_RRichard_R Member Posts: 38
    @Philip that helped me too. What probably helped quite a lot more was discovering the vent-lock latch. I had it on vent for the first couple trips — doh! I can easily maintain temps in the 30s now, although the temp jumps up 5-6 deg when there’s a lot of opening and closing like at mealtimes. And then it takes quite a while to cool back down. 

— Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
    2023 F150 Hybrid (PowerBoost drivetrain)