Options

Cassette Toilet is Stink City!

KismetKrushKismetKrush Member Posts: 29
Hi, I have a 2022 tab320 and love the cassette toilet on ease but it stinks despite me dumping every 2 days and using a chemical packet. Sorry to bring this up. I am starting to wish I had a regular black tank. Any advice, chemicals or switches I may have overlooked to solve this? jill

Comments

• Options
    stp2136stp2136 Member Posts: 16
    Are you sure you are closing the flush valve?
  • Options
    Is the flush valve that flap that covers the top from the tank?
  • Options
     =) Yes, luckily I am doing that. But I appreciate you asking. 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I assume black tanks have a trap to limit smells due to their larger volume and the cassette doesn't. I've only used a cassette toilet and while we try to limit using it for solids. The smell is only noticeable when the flap is open. We do use a small amount of "Happy Camper" if we're out for more than an overnight.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    OK I have not tried Happy Camper, so I will do that! I agree that our trailer didn't stink because it is under the frame, and has a lot more water in it-much larger than a cassette toilet. But, yes I am keeping the valve closed. Perhaps I need to use more water....hmmm....
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    No trap in the black tank version, either, just a big hole directly from the bowl into the tank when the flush handle opens the gate valve. With either configuration, if the tank stinks, you'll know it.
    When I flush, I do try to hold the handle long enough to thoroughly rinse the bowl of anything that might dry and stink (especially in the heat). I'm not exactly sure how the cassette toilets are configured, but the same may apply.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks Scott G-Like you said, I was reading that my problem is prevalent where its hot and if their is churning (moving your trailer)-which I am in both of those scenarios. I am going to try some of the newer enzyme products with more water, but may need to use a disposable bag liner for #2. If I find a good enzyme product I will report back on this thread and list it. 
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    Note that if you aren't using the shower, the odor you're smelling from the bathroom might be from the grey tank due to a dry trap on the shower drain. Pouring in a pint of water or so at the beginning of each trip helps immensely.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    Skip the chemicals. Rinse thoroughly, then do a scoop of Happy Camper mixed well with warm water (I use a shaker bottle that’s designed for protein shakes…obviously well labeled and not kept in the kitchen. LOL). HC is the ONLY way to go. 30+ years with RVs, and I’ve never seen anything like it. The stupid stinky ineffective chemicals can’t compare! 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    We also have a 2022 320 with cassette.  The cassette in some of these do not seat properly in its compartment when pushing in, causing the toilet seal to misalign.  It may even leak into the compartment that holds the cassette, and beyond.  Check for that.

The culprit we have found is the poorly fitted lid on that silly little box on the bottom of the cassette compartment.  Take that lid off and throw it as far as you can.  Your cassette will always seat and lock in place with that lid out of the way.  Check to see if some liquid has bypassed the toilet seal and sitting in that silly little molded-in box under the cassette.  If it has, clean out the compartment really well, or it will stink up your trailer inside.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 263
    I agree with @kottum!  My additional suggestion is after you throw the lid, go find it and burn it!  Below are a few photos of the parts described above.  To my knowledge, the only thing the cover does is prevent the cassette from latching properly. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you @kottum and @Basil48192. This idea and picture is really helpful and I will do it! I just knew there must be something...BUT yes @VictoriaP will do the happy camper thing too. =) I am guessing you mix it up because there is just so little water used in the cassette that you need to get it activated right away. OK will also pour water in the shower @techietab. Really appreciate everyone pitching in to help =)
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    @KismetKrush Definitely mix it with warm water, at least room temp, a little warmer is better. The one drawback to HC is that it clumps if not mixed well, and it can solidify pretty hard. But it dissolves much quicker with warm water and a bit of agitation. I also put a bit down the shower drain, it’s good for keeping the smell down in the grey tank as well.

And it’s amazing stuff, no stink and no horrible chemical perfume overlaying the stink!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Whenever possible, I try to empty the cassette every morning and give it a good rinse.  Don't allow the contents to "ferment" any longer than you have to.  Be sure to clean the cassette well after your trip, enough so that it is odor-free.

I have had black tanks and now the cassette.  I really like the cassette.
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    I have had black tanks and now the cassette.  I really like the cassette.
    I so agree. I always have a big smile on my face when we leave a campground and see the long lines of RVs waiting to dump.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    There are so many different folks with the great T@Bs. With different needs. When I was young caring around that cassette would not be a problem! Now that I stay longer in one place up to a month at a time and am older I MUCH prefer the black tank method and I use the SEWER SOLUTION as it uses a 1 inch hose instead of the 3 inch hose that the stinky slinky and other bulky hoses I have had to use in the past.  If I had my choice I wish all humans could mold their stool in small balls like rabbits do then the stool would just roll down inside the tube into the dump! I want to keep rving as long as I can. Finding something that works for everyone is hard as we all have different needs, thanks for reading and no I have no connection with SEWER SOLUTION! I now travel around to different RC aircraft fun fly-ins and stay in the area to visit the local clubs. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Completely agree with using the Sewer Solution product to avoid the stinky slinky.  We used one for many years.  For an overnight stop with a close-by bathroom, just hook up the drain hose for #1, then rinse it it the morning and go.
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    OK @gulfarea and @kottum please have a wee bit of patience with me here. Are you saying you take the Valterra SS01 RV SewerSolution Drainage Kit with 10' Hose and Accessories and attach it somehow to the cassette and then have a full hookup site that you connect it to 24/7 like a black hose? And then like daily do the flush like in the videos? Thank you.
  • Options
    You can connect the cassette toilet tank to the stinky slinky using "The Americanizer"
    https://www.amazon.com/Americanizer-Adapter-Cassettes-Portable-Toilets/dp/B098BMXGCQ
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    No sorry I was not clear, I don't have a cassette in my 2019 320 or in my old 2016 cs.  What I mean is at my age and if I stay in a campground for any length of time I just can't see dumping that cassette several times when just pulling a handle seems to work so well for me. I am sure a cassette can work well for some folks but just don't get to old! Art
  • Options
    @gulfarea you were very clear but I was responding to @KismetKrush :)
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @Maple_Geek Sorry All I can say in my defense is DON'T GET OLD! Art
  • Options
    Thanks everybody, yeah that Americanizer is incredible, I love it. =)
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    A bit of sarcasm & rant
    More folks need to tell Dealers and nüCamp the 320 models need a standard Black Tank Option.

More volume, ease of use, and no stink - - - -

NA campgrounds are not set-up for easy/clean dumping of cassettes like is the case in EU Nations.

And unlike EU Nations a huge number of NA campers do expended trips where 5-gallons of holding tank is a joke.

When my 320S needs replacement it won't be a nüCamp 320 with it's current production misses of
    cassette only, Air8, and useless tank monitors.

nüCamp needs to bring back or at least make optional; Blank Tank, Window A/C, and SeeLevel Monitors - - - - things that made the older TaBs super campers.
    BTW:  I'm not a microwave user but am a big TV + DVD user while using my 320S as a 'motel room'

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    I never use the Sewer Solution with the cassette, that was from my black tank days.

I really don't get the need for an Americanizer, the cassette spout dumps clean and easy.  Press the air supply button and don't try to rush it.

The RV stores are stocked with gadgets and gizmos.  Very, very few are needed.
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    stp2136stp2136 Member Posts: 16
    I think the cassette toilet is the perfect solution for the T@B 320.  We wouldn't have bought one without it as we had one in our previous trailer (Aliner).  We tend to use it only at night as most campgrounds have toilet facilities so we can go a week without dumping.  The big advantage is that you can dump it anywhere--regular toilet, Forest Service outhouse, sewer at the campsite, or a dump station (least desirable).  Dumping is certainly no more messy than dragging out a slinky hose (actually less messy) and it does have a long handle and wheels if you have to move it a ways.  You never nave to search out and get in line at the dump station--you can even take it home and dump in your own toilet if necessary.
  • Options
    "The RV stores are stocked with gadgets and gizmos.  Very, very few are needed."
    I definitey agree with this. I did buy a stinky slinky and an Americanizer but I've never used them. The cassette toilet is very easy to handle for me. I understand it may not be for everyone though.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    I love the cassette toilet because it gives me options. I can dump using the americanizer whenever I want at a dump station or I can opt to dump when I get home or somewhere else. The americanizer changed everything. It's also easy to give the cassette a good cleaning so you know it's completely empty and nothing left in there to muck things up.

As for reducing stink make sure everything is seated and sealed properly. You can add a little water to the bowl and if this water drains over time you're not sealing properly. Some people will leave a little water in the bowl as an extra "seal" but I don't find that necessary. When I use the toilet I make sure I'm seated well to seal as much stink as possible and only get off the seat once I've flushed and resealed the gate valve. I find remaining seated as much as possible helps keep some of the odor from releasing. Sometimes I find a "courtesy flush" is helpful too.  Then I make sure there's no "debris" left in the bowl or on the gate valve. There should be little to no odor escaping when the gate valve and seat is closed. I would suggest using more water too, especially if you don't use the toilet much for liquid waste. That may help along with giving the cassette a really good cleaning after each trip.

I've been using Thetford Eco (green) digester for years in both my old portable camp toilet and my T@B's cassette and it works great. Unfortunately they no longer make it and will have to experiment with new options when I run out of the stuff I have now. 
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    Thanks @Da_Birds I just find that my strength to regulate pouring waste is not great and it sloshes so that is why I also like the americanizer but it is frustrating to have extra stuff to deal with. To be honest with you I would prefer to return to a black tank like @MuttonChops but am not going to give up my Tab for that. I think with all these suggestions my next trip will be a success! Thanks again everybody