Options

New T@B 400 Owner Here

new2nunew2nu Member Posts: 28
Greetings all.

On Friday of last week I closed the deal on a brand new 2023 T@B 400 Boondock. I'm moving up from my old Jayco 2017 popup, which served me well. I also have a brand new Toyota 4Runner SR5 as a tow vehicle. 

I'm a youthfully retired (walked away at 54) community college physics and astronomy professor and taught for thirty years. I originally got the Jayco to take to star parties and now I want to travel to see solar eclipses and do more camping again in general. The T@B can also serve as my mobile office as I still do lots of work in my field and attend conferences.

I'm amazed at the T@B's popularity and I hope to eventually attend a user rally. I'm currently looking for an awning and I intend to get one of the brands that includes at least one pole for stability. I'm looking forward to learning more about this community.

2023 T@B 400 Boondock, 2022 Toyota 4Runner SR5, various telescopes

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Congratulations! I hope you find much joy in your new 400. We have enjoyed our 2019 a lot over the past 3 years of our retirement. I am sure you are planning a trip for the eclipse in 2024. We would like to be in Texas for that one. BTW this forum was a lifesaver for helping me learn about all things T@B and is a great resource. Don't be discouraged by all the posts about things that go wrong, because most times your systems will work fine. I needed a lot of help coming from a tent camper with just relearning the towing procedure, as well as basic maintenance. Its all here so welcome!

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Yes I am indeed planning on traveling for the eclipse, hence the desire to get a new camper. I agree about the posts about things going wrong. As with telescopes, people tend to be vocal about problems. I'm watching the conversations here and learning the culture. Thanks for the welcome!
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    new2nu said:
    Greetings all.

On Friday of last week I closed the deal on a brand new 2023 T@B 400 Boondock. I'm moving up from my old Jayco 2017 popup, which served me well. I also have a brand new Toyota 4Runner SR5 as a tow vehicle. 

I'm a youthfully retired (walked away at 54) community college physics and astronomy professor and taught for thirty years. I originally got the Jayco to take to star parties and now I want to travel to see solar eclipses and do more camping again in general. The T@B can also serve as my mobile office as I still do lots of work in my field and attend conferences.

I'm amazed at the T@B's popularity and I hope to eventually attend a user rally. I'm currently looking for an awning and I intend to get one of the brands that includes at least one pole for stability. I'm looking forward to learning more about this community.
    Welcome! 

With the awning, it's a good idea to think through your priorities before spending any money. Do you want something that isn't big and bulky to carry? Or is your priority something large and robust? Or is ease of the setup the most important? Some of these things are mutually exclusive. I've been through three different awnings. Keep an eye out for people selling them. Rallies are a great place to see various options. What part of the country are you in?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    As for awnings, I've researched them and I definitely don't want something like a tent or tent room. I'm currently considering the AllPro Shade Wing as I want something that comes with at least one pole for stability in addition to the guy lines that attach to the keder rail. I am a bit concerned about how I would remove the awning in case of strong winds from, say, a thunderstorm. 

I'm in NC. 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @new2nu welcome and congratulations on your trailer. Good folks here, great information and reams of experiences for sharing. During and after the learning curve, happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Got my T@B home today in the rain. Let me tell you...things have changed a lot since I bought the popup in 2005. Bluetooth stereo in the trailer, Bluetooth battery management, Bluetooth brake controller, Bluetooth backup camera, heat pump, solar power, radiant floor heating wet baths in teardrops...the list goes on. It's going to take me a few days to get everything settled. 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    new2nu said:
    As for awnings, I've researched them and I definitely don't want something like a tent or tent room. I'm currently considering the AllPro Shade Wing as I want something that comes with at least one pole for stability in addition to the guy lines that attach to the keder rail. I am a bit concerned about how I would remove the awning in case of strong winds from, say, a thunderstorm. 

I have the Pahaque equivalent of the Shade Wing. Many people like this awning but I was never really happy with it. Maybe the pole was too long or the awning had shrunk, but I found it a PITA to set up. Maybe it doesn't help that I'm really short. And I busted the fiberglas pole in a windstorm. Theoretically you can attach the guy lines to the trailer but if there's any breeze you would be better off to stake the lines down properly. A few years ago I found a used old-school awning from Marti's Awnings and I'm very happy with it, but I don't know how it would work on a 400.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    Marceline said:
    new2nu said:

I have the Pahaque equivalent of the Shade Wing. Many people like this awning but I was never really happy with it. Maybe the pole was too long or the awning had shrunk, but I found it a PITA to set up. Maybe it doesn't help that I'm really short. And I busted the fiberglas pole in a windstorm. Theoretically you can attach the guy lines to the trailer but if there's any breeze you would be better off to stake the lines down properly. A few years ago I found a used old-school awning from Marti's Awnings and I'm very happy with it, but I don't know how it would work on a 400.

I addressed the shrinkage by shortening one of the poles. Has been easy to setup since. 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    I just discovered that I also have Bluetooth battery status. Wow!
  • Options
    I just ordered my awning. I went with the AllPro Shade Wing. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Got my AllPro awning but having had a chance to set it up yet due to the weather (on and off rain coupled with hot summer weather that I try to avoid). I got some relatively inexpensive lights from Amazon that can be controlled with a remote and Bluetooth. I especially like that I can set the lights to red to preserve my night vision for astronomical work. I really with the interior overhead LEDs could be swapped out for red ones for the same reason. The dealer said lots of buyers ask about that. Maybe nuCamp should consider that (hint!). The blue may work just fine though.