Options

Xtra Key tip

linolino Member Posts: 226
I know it sounds basic, but I thought I would post this.

Someone told me to leave an extra key to the camper inside of my car. I’ve never needed it but seems like a good idea

Comments

• Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    That works - IF you have your vehicle key (and it's not locked inside your camper).  I installed a realtor-type lockbox inside my Nautilus compartment and keep my spare key there.  Has saved my butt at least three times.

--Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Yes, except you could get locked out of both.  If you had a key for both hidden under the camper or car, you have more bases covered. 

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    edited July 2023
    Very true
    The campers that inspired this lost camper but not car keys
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    We keep an extra set of trailer keys in the truck and an extra truck key in the trailer. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    My keys are in my pocket if I'm out of the trailer.  I have a set in my car, too.  I have a set at home, in an envelope, and friends have instructions to find that envelope and express it to me if I need it!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    edited July 2023
    Hi,  I know many do if differently, but we keep a complete set of duplicates for all keys and locks inside our tow vehicle and keep a set of keys for the TAB and tow  remote hidden in our front tub.  I know some folks will feel uncomfortable with leaving them in the front tub, but they are well hidden and sure have come in handy many times.  Best wishes…
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    From the number of ways folks keep second keys, it is inevitable that you will lock yourself out. We kept our spare key in our tool bag in the tool compartment but also had that compartment locked on a day trip, so that didn't work. Luckily found a locksmith just before dark with temps dropping below freezing in Jan. Now our backup key is always in an unlocked location that we can access. BTW the locksmith was impressed at how secure the door lock on our T@B was, as it took him several tries to pick the lock. So at least we were proud of our RV door that day.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    For those with the earlier Pleasant Valley/NuCamp door, I highly recommend this keyless lock.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab