Options

Getting to the battery

Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
At the risk of sounding stupid, can someone tell me how to open the battery box? I took the strap off but I can't seem to get the top off the box. I know it's not rocket science but it has totally done me in.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Cat_913 said:
    At the risk of sounding stupid, can someone tell me how to open the battery box? I took the strap off but I can't seem to get the top off the box. I know it's not rocket science but it has totally done me in.

Cathy, just below the bottom lip of the lid (about an inch or so from the top), and in the middle of each side, there are "tabs" that you must push inward to allow them to release from their "loops" (think of a belt buckle loop).  So, push in on those two tabs (one on each of the long sides) and pull up evenly on both sides.  Once you do it, you'll have that "ah-ha" moment.  If you need, take a mirror to look at the sides of the box so you'll understand.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna, I knew it was something simple that I was over thinking, I'll try that this evening after work. I am trying to hook up a trickle charger before the battery runs down but working in this heat we are having I get frustrated and give up to quickly.
  • Options
    Cat_913 said:
    Thanks Verna, I knew it was something simple that I was over thinking, I'll try that this evening after work. I am trying to hook up a trickle charger before the battery runs down but working in this heat we are having I get frustrated and give up to quickly.

I understand working in the heat.  Take your time.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The only way I can get mine is to pop one side and then the other.
  • Options
    A cool front came through this afternoon so the temp. was 77 when I went to the storage unit and did not melt. You were right Verna it was an ah-ha moment and it came off very easy. Now I have a trickle charger connected to the battery and I can rest knowing my battery is not going to set there and go dead. I am a happy Camper (pun intended).
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    The only way I can get mine is to pop one side and then the other.
    It was a tight squeeze getting it off but a few wiggles and it came off quickly.
  • Options
    Cat_913 said:
    A cool front came through this afternoon so the temp. was 77 when I went to the storage unit and did not melt. You were right Verna it was an ah-ha moment and it came off very easy. Now I have a trickle charger connected to the battery and I can rest knowing my battery is not going to set there and go dead. I am a happy Camper (pun intended).
    Way to go!  Just imagine how much more you'll be able to do after a few more months of ownership!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    LehfeldtLehfeldt Member Posts: 20
    I'm a newbie, but I thought if you plug in your T@B to shore power, you would still get a "trickle charge" back into the battery and keep it fully charged, right?

Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY
  • Options
    Lehfeldt said:
    I'm a newbie, but I thought if you plug in your T@B to shore power, you would still get a "trickle charge" back into the battery and keep it fully charged, right?

Correct, but sometimes it's not possible to connect the 30 amp cord to the T@B. 

I've had a trickle charger connected to my T@B in my driveway for the past few weeks because the 30 amp cord is too thick to fit under the garage door, and I don't have a close enough electrical outlet to plug the 30 amp cord into.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - You could use a 30amp to 110 adapter and the plug into a regular extension cord under your door though - Correct?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Verna - You could use a 30amp to 110 adapter and the plug into a regular extension cord under your door though - Correct?

Correct, but I need to find a waterproof box to put the connection into.  I've been very busy with the kitchen remodel and had to quit on the T@B improvements for right now.  Not enough gray matter and muscle power to do both.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited August 2015
    On the flip side, i am finding it challenging to get the battery cover back on after changing out the fuse..ugh...just mit "seeing" where the tabs line back up while allowing the lines to come out.  Will try with a mirror next time it is not 116 degrees.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I put my cut-off switch on top of the battery box cover and putting the cover back on became such a hassle that I ground one of the tabs off to make it easier.  The strap was enough to hold it down.  Then, at Tearstock I was showing someone how I had installed the cut-off switch and the 12V plug that I had installed on the LP/Battery cover and the strap came from together.  I could not get it to go back like it should, so I crisscrossed some bungees to get home.  Got to fix that before the next trip.  I really need to redo the whole thing because it looks like a spider web under the cover anyway.  Did I mention that I also installed my ARB plug on the LP/Battery cover?  Three sets of extra wires under there may be just a bit much.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I can never get both tabs to set at the same time, have to do one, then the other :-(
    Luckily I don't have to get in there very often.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    PXL glad it is not just me. I might just trim the plastic on the side lid part creating more space for wiring, and then go with Larry's bungee idea (short ones, criss-crossed).
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Sandra said:
    ... so I covered up the rear opening with black electrical tape, as well as drilled a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the box.
    Which reminds me:  After I first got my T@B, I noticed that the back vent was stopped with what looked like liquid tape.  Thinking it was a mistake, I unstopped it.  First time I had it out in the rain, I figured out why it was stopped up in the first place, so I filled it back in with liquid tape.  Every once in a while (as in almost always, the folks at LG get it right. :)

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I did the same thing RZRBUG. Sounds like I need to get some liquid tape.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep! And then you always have to remember to put the cover back on in the right direction too!

I marked our cover "front" and "back" with a white marker, so I'd remember.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW - Oh ya, there's that too.