Options

WF-8955-AD Hard Start

fwunderfwunder Member Posts: 39
Sorry for the cryptic title. I think it describes the behavior.

2023 TAB 400 BD with factory base - one BB and 1200 W inverter.

When first starting WF-8955 I measure what appears to be almost full power ~800+ Watts no matter what the SOC of the battery. It quickly ramps back down. It's like it always begins a charging cycle in bulk mode and then quickly decides it doesn't need to be.

This was part of an experiment to determine why some folks were having problems running their Cool Cat AC with a small generator like the Honda 2200i. I think the converter "hard start" may be what is causing problems. Couple AC compressor startup with converter startup and small generator just can't handle it.

Just looking for confirmation that this is the normal behavior of the 
WF-8955.

I hope the attached video 
demonstrates.

https://grafiks101.com/tab/WFCO.mp4

Comments

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    You need to be  little more specific about your model of WF-8955.  I have the one designed for lead acid and AGM batteries in my 2020 TAB 400, and it has never exhibited your symptoms.  I'm guessing you have a Lithium system? My understanding is that WFCO had 2 versions of the "Lithium compatible" converters, one with a "lithium switch" and another that tries (albeit badly) to determine dynamically if you have a lithium or AGM battery.  To get a true comparison with other TAB owners, you'll need to tell us exactly which WF-8955 you have.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Sorry. I thought I was clear. BB => Battle Born Lithium (1) 100ah.

WF-8955-AD-WAGO => I believe it's the standard auto detect converter with the 2023 Tab 400
  • Options
    Just to add...

I confirmed that the 8955 is in Lithium Mode.

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    fwunder said:
    . . A . . . first starting WF-8955 I measure what appears to be almost full power ~800+ Watts no matter what the SOC of the battery.

. . B . . .  converter "hard start" may be what is causing problems. Couple AC compressor startup with converter startup and small generator just can't handle it.

Do believe " A " is standard for all WFCO Power Centers.  On initial power-on the cooling fan and maximum current draw/output are active.

For " B " - - Won't the WFCO 'start-up current spike' occur once when the generator power source is connected.  The CoolCat compressor on spike(s) and initial Power Center power-up. spike will not occur at the same time.

Folks using a small generator like the Honda 2200i  [1800W continuous, 2200W surge] should consider all the trailer loads ACV and DCV when using the CoolCat with perhaps turning-off some items when cooling is needed.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Thanks, that helps. Interesting that I note the WFCO occasionally "power up" ( I hear the fan ) and ramp back down even with battery @ 100% SOC per shunt. Yes, I agree some simple power management goes a long way when using a small generator. Thanks again!