Options

New Battery Wiring

I am new to my 2021 Tab 320s Boondock.   It was just re-wired and it seems to have duplicate positive and negative cables?  I just want to hook up one battery.    I also found the extra red and black wires on the side - not sure if I need those for anything?  Thank you!  

Comments

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    edited September 2023
    Hi,

One set of red and black wires will be for the solar controller and the other set will power your TAB.  For the one powering your TAB the positive will go to the switch while the negative goes to a junction box located under the trailer.  Sometimes you see green used instead of red.  The extras might have been if there was a second battery wired in parallel.  Both positive. (Switch and solar controller) will have an in line fuse , so you know those are the positives . 

It is hard to see the wires once they go behind the metal box , but if you get a good look you can follow them.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    The pictures aren't clear on the wire routing.
    Normally the Cut-Off Switch will have One wire In and One Wire Out.
    In the picture it is not clear if your Cut-Off Switch has Two 'Out' wires or the second wire is just routed near but not connected to the Cut-Off Switch.

Tracing all the wires in your battery compartment Before Starting to Connect to the Battery is advised.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    AkromeroAkromero Member Posts: 3
    Thank you!  I appreciate everyone’s help
  • Options
    In the picture it is not clear if your Cut-Off Switch has Two 'Out' wires or the second wire is just routed near but not connected to the Cut-Off Switch.

Hi ,
    When I first got my ‘21BD it also looked like 2 wires were going to the switch.  But after looking real close, only one goes to the switch and the second routes very close but goes around it and behind the tub and to the junction box.    If you follow closely I’m sure you will observe the same.  Suggest once you get it sorted out, put some markings on each wire.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    AkromeroAkromero Member Posts: 3
    If one set of wires is for the solar and the other to the switch, do I need to have two batteries in place?  Or can I hook up both to one battery?   My goal is to figure out the solar system !  
    Thank you 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Hi,

You do not need two batteries.  Connect both positives to the positive stub on your battery and both negatives together (on the neg stub of battery).

The solar does not go through the switch so the solar panel can charge your battery with the switch off.

In case your unfamiliar , always tow with the battery switch on.  The electric emergency brakes on the TAB axle need 12V to work.  If the switch is off, it cuts all 12V to your TAB including the brakes.  

I’m out traveling so can’t add a drawing but the solar is wired as:  

Solar Panel>Solar Charger(Victron inside)> Battery

My ‘21 came with a solar plug on the metal tub.  Do you have that.  It would be a third set of wires (pos and neg )

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland