Options

Generator transport

Does any one transport their inv/gen on the boondock platform of a 320s or 400. I'm going to try this next week on a 500mi trip. It makes me really nervous, but would solve a lot packing of problems.

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    I carry a 2200W Peak Gas Generator ~ 50# on the Driver side of Boondock Platform.
    Has worked well over 30K+ miles.

I did install a small wood " L Bracket/Stop " to hold the outer most generator foot in-place.  Also drilled a couple holes in the main support tubes so tie-down bungle cords could be attached.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    Thanks. I have a Champion 2500. The manual says it's 39#, feels much heavier. It seems very secure setting there, I thought 2 ratchet straps would hold it place. What I'm really worried about is weather. Probably just over think it, again.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    I purchased a cheap (amazon) plastic cover for mine . . . keeps road dirt away, makes me feel better
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    DaveAnnaDaveAnna Member Posts: 41
    I put our 3300 generac on the 320 middle platform. Removed the rubber feet, bought longer bolts(6) and large fender washers. Tighten the bolts and feet down, genset rides with no problem, exhaust away from door. Cover from Amazon fits perfect. We did remove under mount spare tire to reduce tongue weight. We just throw the spare in pickup bed. Tongue weight fully loaded 310-325 lbs
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 304
    GregChris said:
    Does any one transport their inv/gen on the boondock platform of a 320s or 400. I'm going to try this next week on a 500mi trip. It makes me really nervous, but would solve a lot packing of problems.
    I leave mine in the garage. ;-) 

With 400ah of batteries and 380w solar I don't need to lug the generator with me anymore...
    ChiprchukChiprchuk Member Posts: 23
    The guy we bought our CS320 from parked at a motel after leaving burning man and strapped his Honda generator to the driver side of Boondock Platform ... the next morning he came out - It was gone. Does anyone lock theirs when strapped outside like this?  
    Tab 320-S Boondock Edge 2019
    T/V Ford Ranger 2023 4x4

• Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    edited September 2023
    Sure.  Mine lives fulltime on front platform except when operating (noisy and rattles, put on ground away from camper.)
    Two ratchet straps, threaded through the 3/4" holes in the front platform with rub protectors made from garden hose piece sliced lengthwise.  Cable lock through handle and platform; fit pvc cover over assembly; cinch ratchet straps carefully located to avoid controls.  To run microwave for boondock lunch (soup) we leave it onboard.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    I carry my Honda  2000 in the front outside bin. I also have a very loud alarm system on the door, propane locker, and tilt switch if the trailer is jacked up to steel. It was a lot of work but I feel much better with the alarm on. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    !200 mi to Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and back to Ohio. My Champion lived on the passenger side platform the whole time. It is locked with a cable lock the through the handle. Would have been lost without it, after 6 days of Opelila, rain, wind, no sun, solar had no chance. Then in Shenandoah under trees, still no solar. Still had a good time.