Options

Stink bug in black tank check valve

I had noticed that during a black tank rinse I was getting (fresh) water into the bathroom floor and also saw water coming out underneath the camper thru the coroplast gaps.  I ended up pulling the bathroom sink panel far enough away (I didn't disconnect the hoses) and confirmed the issue was that the black tank check valve was leaking around the valve's top cover.  After removing the valve ( there was just enough room to access the fittings by hand), I found a dead stick bug had made it's way under the valve cap and into the siphoning vent holes. The (now dead) bug was preventing the check valve to seat properly which allowed the water to exit the anti-siphoning vent holes.

I cleaned out the bug parts, rechecked to make sure the valve properly closed.  I had some 10 mesh stainless screen, so I covered the valve cap and held the mesh on with a zip tie. The mesh allows for effective anti-siphoning and should keep out all bugs.  After replacing the valve I rechecked and all is good.

If you do have stink bugs in your camper I would highly suggest adding some mesh cover to the valve. Those bugs get into anything and it is a relatively easy preventative measure.
2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Thanks for the tip! We've got those things here too. We no longer vent the side windows, having found a tiny gap at the bottom of the inside trim. If daylight creeps through the space so may the bugs. Also during this year's winterization we learned where our battery's BMS is by the location of stink bug carcasses.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @subkron <<I found a dead stick bug had made it's way under the valve cap and into the siphoning vent holes. The (now dead) bug was preventing the check valve to seat properly which allowed the water to exit the anti-siphoning vent holes.>>  

Any chance you could provide pictures? I don't know where the valve cap and siphoning vent holes are?

Thank you for the warning,

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5