Options

Summer Heat/Humidity Strategies - Cover/Fan/AC/Dehumidifier

EasternJLEasternJL Member Posts: 33
Howdy--- as a new 320 owner (2024) headed into summer (and we live in the super humid area of coastal NC (Wilmington area)), I'm trying to come up with the best storage strategy for times when the camper isn't being used during the summer.  It's parked in the driveway and it will be a boiling steam pot here in a month or so. 

I've searched the forums and seen some strategies, but I'm hoping for some recent experiences/input.

I have several options based on the equipment we have.  We have 15 amp shore power, a Pahaque cover (still in box), a dehumidifier (which could drain into the shower), a Maxxfan 7500-- which has the nice large cover. 
--Should we cover the Tab and set the A/C to some fairly high temp so it only runs when it gets extreme? 
--Should we cover, put the dehumidifier in and have the vent fan open slightly?
--Do we worry about wear and tear on the A/C and other components by having it powered all the time?  
--And is there a simple way to turn off unnecessary items- like the fridge, etc.?
Thoughs? 

BTW, I am known to be somewhat cheap (in spite of what this new camper might suggest), so I'm also a little concerned about the power usage of having it on all the time.  

Thanks!
2024 Tab320 S - Black Canyon - "C-ThreeTwoO"
Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• Options
    enzo86enzo86 Member Posts: 11
    We are going to give the Midea Cube 20 Pint Dehumidifier a try, it has a remote drain you can run into the shower floor also has wifi so can you can control it remotely if you wanted ,timer, remote tank reading,etc. I put a power meter on it and it pulls right about 250w while the compressor is on.

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    Yes it gets hot here in Mobile Al also. I have had 2 T@B 320 trailers here. I do not leave the A/C on or even the power cord on.  I am afraid more of fire leaving the A/c on all the time which down here would be A LOT! That does not mean it is the correct thing to do, just that's what I do. New  ones sitting on lots for sale normally do not have them on. Only adding info to this forum of what I do. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Thanks, y'all.  I've also poked around on some other forums (FL RV page, etc.) and it sounds like the consensus is using a dehumidifier -- as opposed to the A/C-- since humidity is the real issue and A/C would be expensive over time (and wear/tear). Gulfarea--that does make sense about new ones on lots. 

If I go with the dehumidifier, I'd like to just use an extension cord from the house and not plug in the whole camper.  Does anyone have any suggestions about a good place to bring in a cord without leaving a window or door open?  And I don't want to shut the door with a cord in it.  
    Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    HammickHammick Member Posts: 72
    EasternJL said:
    Thanks, y'all.  I've also poked around on some other forums (FL RV page, etc.) and it sounds like the consensus is using a dehumidifier -- as opposed to the A/C-- since humidity is the real issue and A/C would be expensive over time (and wear/tear). Gulfarea--that does make sense about new ones on lots. 

If I go with the dehumidifier, I'd like to just use an extension cord from the house and not plug in the whole camper.  Does anyone have any suggestions about a good place to bring in a cord without leaving a window or door open?  And I don't want to shut the door with a cord in it.  
    If you are going to run an extension cord you might as well plug in the camper.  A 30a to 120v adapter works just fine.
  • Options
    So if I just plug in the camper, is there a way to just turn off the fridge-- without pulling a fuse, etc.?  Is there anything else that I wouldn't want connected to power all the time- for wear and tear purposes (and power consumption)?  
    Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    Ok, I found the manual for the Isotherm and you can turn it to 0 to turn it off.  

Honda Ridgeline