Does charging voltage from solar vary during float?

CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 139
Hi all,
I just put a new battery in my TAB (flooded) and noticed on the Victron app that during Float, the charging voltage and solar output varies .. is this normal?... It's a blue sky day btw... Here is a recording of the Victron
 https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/68zlz8kjbhz8ouq1j82zy/screen-20240502-135918.mp4?rlkey=h3h0oghvpvg0meth53z95fyak&st=639tiaky&dl=0
Thanks! 
Brent
2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
Toronto, Canada

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,865
    The solar controller will start up when it "feels" the battery voltage dropping by a certain amount. The controller will not keep shoving voltage into a battery: it will wait til the battery needs it. If your battery switch is on, the trailer is simply using "parasitic" drains, which will eventually add up and the controller will sense the drop, and start the charger.  I can't tell how much time has elapsed in your video, but there seems to be very small solar inputs.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 139
    Thank you for the comment...I did have the battery switch on and I assume the cycling of the solar controller was to charge and shed unnecessary solar energy...once I turned off the battery switch it no longer cycled...no longer any parasitic draw. 
    I had not seen this happen before so was just wondering if there was a problem.

Thanks again! 
    Brent
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada