Options

TOWING THE T@B WITH A FORD EDGE

Hello.....I am new to this forum site and am interested in purchasing the Little Guy T@B S Max in the near future. I currently drive a 2014 Edge SEL with the 3.5L V6 and the 6 Spd Select Speed Automatic Transmission. Does anyone else use this vehicle to tow their T@B and if so have you experienced any specific problems that you have had especially with towing in hot weather or in the mountains at over 8000 ft elevations? I am trying to learn what I can from the "professionals" since the only towing I have done in the past is a smaller fishing boat and trailer.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    If the towing rating is 3500 LBS or above, you'll likely be fine.  In fact you may not even notice it behind you!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Look in your owners manual, it will tell you how heavy of a trailer you can tow. IF you have the trailer tow package on your EDGE, it can tow 3500lbs. IF not, then probably  around 2000 lbs.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Hookm49Hookm49 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to see how the towing goes since I have a class 2 hitch installed with no additional special trailering equipment.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited September 2015
    Was the tow hitch part of the deal package?  They claim that their trailer package includes trailer hitch, upgraded cooling fans, upgrade in radiator and  and trailer sway control.  They imply that the last three are upgrades to the edge.   See here for details http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/14FLRV&TT_Edge_Sep11.pdf
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Auto transmission should be rated for towing, probably would need a transmission cooler.

Tow package would likely include that.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The hitch was actually a dealer installation since I needed it to tow a smaller boat/trailer combo......maybe weighs around 1200 lbs total. There were no other towing items installed except for a 5 pin electrical hookup. It tows that combo just fine even though I have never towed anything in higher elevations which is where I would be towing the T@B.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'd be Leary - A dealer installed hitch on my Jeep would not be beefy enough to comfortably pull the T@B. When I was looking at Jeeps (I wanted a manual tranny) I found several with dealer installed hitches but held out till I found one with a factory tow package both because of a big difference in weight limits but also because of the coolers, etc.
  • Options
    The hitch I currently have is a class 2 assembly with a 4000 lb GTW rating which should handle the T@B OK. I also have the correct wiring for trailering. I have looked into adding a transmission oil cooler which isn't that large of a project so that should be good to go. Now I just need to decide which is the correct T@B configuration for me. I'm leaning towards the T@B CS but since I am NOT close to any dealers where I can go check on things personally I can't decide whether to get the internal shower/toilet combo or not. I am 6'2" and around 215 lbs and based on photo's the enclosure appears to be quite small but I really need to do a walk through. I'm not used to asking so many questions about items I am interested in but there are no better people to ask that those who already own one. Thanks to all for your insight.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    With your build, I'd say the shower'd be a little tight. Doable but tight.
    But ya, you pretty much need to see/try the different models in person before deciding.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I am 5' 10" and 225 lbs, jacket size 48 to 50.  We have the S model with the toilet/ shower combo.  We don't shower in the unit, but use the toilet, even though not tall, maneuvering around with my wide shoulders aren't an issue.  Also, I like the longer bed length, as I sleep with my arms extended beyond my head.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    PS We decided to buy the T@ B when they took the sink out of the bathroom.