Can no longer crank open ceiling vent

lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 844
2017 Tab 320S-- the little toggle that screws open the fan vent feels like the screw is stripped or something?  I have to take off the screen cover & use a stick or something to push open the vent cover-- it will stay open & will screw closed but will not lift the vent cover. I have tightened the screw several times but doesn't fix the issue -- ideas?
2018 Tab 400
2016 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab

Comments

• MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 402
    eTrailer has the replacement crank. They wear out if left open when driving or after  a few years of high winds.  I'm replacing mine too.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 844
    @Mickerly I don’t suppose you have a part #?  I tried several different searches & it’s not coming up with anything 
    2018 Tab 400
    I have never driven with it open or in high winds either
    2018 Tab 400
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,678
    As Mickerly noted this is a common failure.
    Most of the time a replacement knob will fix it.

Here is an Amazon reference  Knob with Screw

Worse case the metal lifting arm/crank could be damaged.
    A good inspection should clarify if you need a Knob or Crank & Knob

Here is an Amazon reference  Lift Arm/Crank   {you should verify correct for your fan}

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  52   Nights:  329  Towing Miles 41,900+
    Thanks!
    2018 Tab 400
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 202
    I thought mine had failed but by holding the knob and tightening  the centre screw it is now operable.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
    RCB said:
    I thought mine had failed but by holding the knob and tightening  the centre screw it is now operable.
    I tried that as well— the screw seems to be stripped— I have ordered another replacement toggle from Amazon— hoping it will work 
    2018 Tab 400
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 202
    Stripped screw rings a bell. I might have taken the screw out and inserted a short length of a small plastic elect tie then the screw. At times I only remember the high points in life - not that I’m high mind you.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 402
    The aluminum threads wear out in the Lift Arm assembly often. With the screen removed, you can push a pencil through the fan to see how much play is in the Lift Arm assembly. Mine has about an inch. When it is windy our vent rattles a lot, enough to wake up us. Time for a new part.

If the knob rotates on the shaft, but doesn't raise the vent, then the replacement knob is the right part for you. 

eTrailer lists the Lift Arm assembly as: 

Replacement Lift Arm for Dometic FanTastic Roof Vents

Item # FVK8011-05
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • mlk51mlk51 Member Posts: 11
    I currently have to use a screwdriver on the knob screw to lift and lower the hood since something seems to be stripped. I've ordered the replacement knob for my Fantastic Fan but I can't figure out how to remove the old one and install the new. When I turn the screw counterclockwise to the maximum, it stops. I don't want to force it. Help?
    Mary Lou, Grand Rapids MI / 2017 T@B 320-S / 2015 Chevy Equinox w/ trailer package