Options

Andersen Camper Leveler opinions?

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited September 2015 in Products and Accessories
Has anyone here used this Andersen leveling device?

Opinions about it?

I now use the BAL Leveler, and/or 2x8 blocks, but this looks easier than either of those, in the promotional videos anyway.

Some reviews say it slips around on hard surfaces, but I'd think that could mitigated with some kind of rubberized coating or something.

Other reviews say the device breaks, which seems weird. It could be molded from a more break-resistant polyethylene, it seems.

Anyone with experience with it?
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As everyone knows, I'm a fan of the legoblock system but did look at these and was under the impression they work best if you have two people - one moving the TV and one watching a level otherwise you're in and out of the TV a lot. I suppose one might get used to just how much you need to move the TV so could do it by ones self.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    We use the Anderson leveler.  It is easier to use with two people, one to watch the level and avoid running off the leveler.  It works really well here in topographically challenged Florida with its 4" or so limit on height.  Don't know the limit on the BAL.  If we regularly needed more height from a leveling system, like often did back in New York, I'd stick to blocks, plastic or wood.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Good point PXL. I imagine it'd just be a learning curve, as it was with the 2x8 and 3/4" plywood system. But it might be a real pain in uneven rocky spots.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Actually with two people it is simple, easy and intuitive
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Pxlated.  If you use legoblocks, you still need to get out and determine if you are level.  Why is the anderson any more cumbersome (I've used both and like the simplicity of the anderson's).  I still needed to check with the legoblocks.  I found them similar in terms of difficulty (ease of use), but the Anderson is a bit more fluid in adjusting.  I've gotten used to the issue of driving off the leveler so don't find it any better/worse than the blocks.  
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Solo = BAL all the way!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    mash2 - One look at the levels tells me how many blocks I'll need - one tick mark on level = one block. So, it's look, lay down blocks, back on and bingo, level. No in and out, back and forth. No second person. Also, when staying hooked up, I can raise/lower camper or TV all with one set. I'd need two BALs/Andersons and neither work for the TV also.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Edit, to clear up:

Because it's what I use now, I know what I think of blocks and the BAL.

But I'd specifically like to know what people know about the Andersen leveler: quality, durability, useability, ease or difficulty, problems with it slipping?

Thanks!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    cam42cam42 Member Posts: 7
    We use the Anderson leveler and absolutely love the simplicity of it. It is made of hard plastic you would have really make an effort to damage it. Once you get it leveled and then wedge the back side  your done. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking to cut down on set up time. Oh I haven't had any slipping problems. 
    Cam & Holly, 2015 T@B MaxS White & Yellow, GA, 2012 Ford Explorer, Tent
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Wow "Chang". Feel free to clarify if you are doing this alone or with a second person as that piece of critical information clearly factors into the the responses you get from people.  Since you didn't specify, chances are you going to get a wide range of responses, I might add, from a bunch of people who are just trying to help, and probably don't expect to get virtually kicked in the teeth for responding.  Peace out and good luck with that...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Oops. Must have said something the wrong way. Sorry if I offended anyone.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's input on this. It's been helpful.

It's what I needed to know.

'preciate it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW - So what's the conclusion - they work fine but better with two people?
  • Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    I bought these for our new T@b, and they are fantastic.   It sure beats rolling on and off of boards to get the trailer leveled.   My wife and I used them tonight on our second weekend out with our trailer. Much quicker leveling than we used to do with our popup.
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    PXL, I think I'll forget all about it. and continue using my hunks of 2×8 and the BAL leveler. Seems less controversial.

Oh, and did I say... thanks.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Wasn't criticizing, just wondering about your take.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    PXL, no criticism taken! 

As I said, I think I'll continue using the slabs of two-by, and the BAL.

I'm not sure what my problem is here with my communication style, but I hope you didn't misunderstand, and were not offended, when I (tried to) clarified my initial question by repeating it. Just trying to keep the thread focused for a bit longer, so I could get what I needed from it before it continued down the path of "which leveling method is better".

And I'm sincere when I say thank you.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
  • Options
    By the way, Chan -- we've used the Andersen levelers on concrete pads, on asphalt, and on packed gravel, and have not seen a hint of slipping or sliding. They aren't that brittle kind of plastic, but feel pretty solid, and the surface has a little bit of texture to it. I suppose they could slip on wet grass, but there's not much of that here in the desert southwest, so we haven't tested that one.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Ok, cool, thanks all. 

I'm guessing the reviews I read about breakage were probably just the extreme cases. 

I might yet give this leveler a chance. 

I carry around way too many slabs of 2×8, and I've been thinking I'd like to be able to get that under control and pare down my collection of lumber to just enough for the stabilizers. Trying to carry enough of them for 'every situation' is getting kind of silly.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    cam42cam42 Member Posts: 7
    ChanW,

I felt that your communication thread was spot on, sometimes comments do go off in the wrong direction. People should not get so offended when they read a thread they did not like. It is really hard to put emotion or ones intent when making comments. I thought you had every right to getting it back on track. If you don't own or have used an Anderson leveler you should not have made a comment on what you thought of it. People should get over them selves, I haven't read anything on this forum that was intended to offend anyone it's just a break down of our communication ability as humans. 
    Cam & Holly, 2015 T@B MaxS White & Yellow, GA, 2012 Ford Explorer, Tent
  • Options
    cam42 - Re-read the whole thread and even though the comments wavered with other options they all seem to be within context or a response to slight deviations. It definetly didn't go off the rails. I absolutely don't understand your "people should get over themselves" statement. On the other hand I don't want to actually derail with an explanation.
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237

I have used both the Anderson and the BAL and prefer the BAL for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the Anderson needs the TV to be connected to get the T@B up on the leveller. We often prefer to move the trailer by hand to exactly the orientation we want and then use the BAL. 

Secondly, the T@B can be levelled easily by one person. 

Ray Barrick
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Ray, you are exactly correct. We've moved the T@b around by hand to get it exactly where we wanted several times and yes, you do have to hook the TV back up to get it up on the Andersen levelers. One time at a beautiful lakefront site we actually turned the camper 90º sideways. I loved that it was small enough to fit crosswise, and we were lucky that the site was level. We realized after we pivoted it that there was no way we could hook the Jeep back up to get it on the leveler - luckily it only needed front to back leveling (which we did with the tongue jack wheel) and not side to side leveling. A BAL  leveler would have been the only way to do it there.
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Frankly I did not want to spend what a BAL cost, and then think about where to store it when traveling, so I bought the Anderson. Since we only camp when it is both of us together, the Anderson is easy to use and has been without an issue, so far. I'm pretty new at this, and so far the only advantage that I see with the BAL is that it can be used without the TV hooked up, which is something I never even thought of when considering how to level the T@b. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2015
    vito said:
    Frankly I did not want to spend what a BAL cost, and then think about where to store it ...
    We store our BAL in the propane/battery locker. It fits like it was made to go there - between the propane and the front. It sits on the trailer tongue frame and leaves plenty of room for other things in the locker. In fact, the arms of the BAL are good for hanging the fresh water hose and other coiled things.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    ChanW said:
    Ok, cool, thanks all. 

I'm guessing the reviews I read about breakage were probably just the extreme cases. 

I might yet give this leveler a chance. 

I carry around way too many slabs of 2×8, and I've been thinking I'd like to be able to get that under control and pare down my collection of lumber to just enough for the stabilizers. Trying to carry enough of them for 'every situation' is getting kind of silly.
    We have been using the Anderson levelers with great success. So far they have worked on grass, pavement, gravel, and dirt without issue. They are very easy. 
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    I think it works great!!!
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2015
    The Andersen leveler has worked beautifully for us. Easy on, easier off! I have blocks in case I need more height but they're still unused.
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    But it is a two person deal - one in the TV moving and one watching the level and yelling "stop" - Correct?