Options

TV antenna trouble using TaB coax

I bought a RCA antenna but the TV in the TaB doesn't recognize any channels when I connect through the external cable hookup. Everything works great when I connect the antenna directly to the television (running the wire through the window).

Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks, Randy

Comments

• Options
    rgbarneyrgbarney Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I did scan using Air on both attempts. I did everything the same except for the length of coax running between the outside connection and the inside TV (which works fine for cable).

There may be some hardware in there besides the coax.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    Hi,  rg  the ext. hookup cable goes straight to the tv.. no detour to the Jensen unit..  justed looked at mine  I have a 2015 L-max.. Hope this helps...Happing campin  Manny..
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    rgbarneyrgbarney Member Posts: 4
    The television works fine with campground cable.

The coax appears to run directly from the external hookup to the TV, as Manny confirmed.

The TV is connected to the radio/DVD unit but separate (all original TaB equipment).

This is a stumper.
  • Options
    thomlinzthomlinz Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2015 w/   outside kitchen and TV. When hooked to
    cable at campground I get no reception on the second set. Any suggestions?
    t@b sofitel max cs/s - Heartland USA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2015
    thomlinz said:
    I have a 2015 w/   outside kitchen and TV. When hooked to
    cable at campground I get no reception on the second set. Any suggestions?
    The only thing you can really do is trace out the cable TV coax, check for continuity and follow it out from point A to B.  I would think that if both TV sets are hooked in tandem via a terminal block both would receive the same signal and be on the same cable channel, etc. if all connections are intact, tight and the coax is good.  Both sets would also need to be on the same receiving channel specified (e.g, channel 3, 4, etc.) and each TV set the same (e.g., set to CATV, TV, DVD, etc.).  I know that with cable TV you do need separate receiving boxes in some areas and do not know if this affects reception when two TV's are running at the same time?  But you'd think that if all of the above are synced and on the same settings the CATV hookup should work fine.  

This link might help those with reception problems:   Troubleshooting your RV's TV Coax Cable
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I have a question about this subject. Is the T@B's external cable plug ONLY if you hook it up to a campgrounds cable --- in other words for those who use an outside antenna, can they go outside with that antenna and use some sort of adapter to connect the outside antenna to the T@B's coax "plug" or do you have to connect an outside antenna directly to the t.v. and then run that wire through some other opening (like the door)? Just curious as it'd be nice to not have to leave something open to put an antenna outside. Jenn - how is your exterior antenna run?  Thanks.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    And if that exterior coax plug can be used with an outside antenna would I need to get an adapter to join the two coax cables together? Is the one on the T@B a male or female?  Or this one?   http://www.amazon.com/GE-23203-Extension-Adaptor-Connects/dp/B00061UISM

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have a question about this subject. Is the T@B's external cable plug ONLY if you hook it up to a campgrounds cable --- in other words for those who use an outside antenna, can they go outside with that antenna and use some sort of adapter to connect the outside antenna to the T@B's coax "plug" or do you have to connect an outside antenna directly to the t.v. and then run that wire through some other opening (like the door)? Just curious as it'd be nice to not have to leave something open to put an antenna outside. Jenn - how is your exterior antenna run?  Thanks.
    And if that exterior coax plug can be used with an outside antenna would I need to get an adapter to join the two coax cables together? Is the one on the T@B a male or female?  Or this one?   http://www.amazon.com/GE-23203-Extension-Adaptor-Connects/dp/B00061UISM

Michele, the exterior is a female plug where you can plug any antenna coax into. I plug my satellite dish into it, or my external HD antenna, or I connect a 25' coax to when I'm in a campground with cable TV. You would only need the adapter if your coax was too short and you needed to connect two coaxes together. It's really simple. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna - good to know that outside "plug" can be used with an exterior antenna.

• Options
    Regarding antenna hook-ups I will give Verna props for this early idea as I gleaned it from her and took it to new heights thereafter.   This is a hook-up I did on a former 5-wide Little Guy unit I had.  I've experimented with these antenna's as have others and I will say that I had my best reception using the RCA antenna with the power (110V) booster that came with the antenna.  And mind you I have used the Razar unit too and haven't picked up much of anything with that antenna.  

Here is a discussion I started over on the LG forum that should help those of you out (give you some food for thought) who enjoy your TV creature comforts when away from home.  Keep in mind however that reception will vary with line of sight distance and proximity to larger metropolitan areas, as mountains DO block out reception, as do low lying areas.  I played with this installation on the road and in the Smokey Mountains and your reception can and will change by tilting the antenna horizontally, etc.  The suction cups were cheap, Harbor Freight models that were not too reliable.  

Antenna hook-up on my 5-wide

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Mike - What were the suction cups originally designed for? Am looking for a couple to rig up my cell booster.
  • Options
    I'm not sure, possibly small tie-off jobs, etc?  Home Depot sells them too as I recall.
  • Options
    Bill_in_TulsaBill_in_Tulsa Member Posts: 65
    PXLated said:
    Mike - What were the suction cups originally designed for? Am looking for a couple to rig up my cell booster.
    Handling glass....

Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    2016 Silver Shadow 5x10 ~ TV 2016 Ford Transit 350 Wagon XLT van.
    "Find the Magic in a Teardrop Trailer"
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ahhh ya - Didn't look as big as the glass ones I've seen.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    No, the suction cups I purchased from Harbor Freight were not the heavy duty models used for handling glass.  They were cheap Chinese produced models and eventually failed.  You do get what you pay for, bottom line. ;)
  • Options
    letsgofidoletsgofido Member Posts: 1
    Hooking up Rayzar Antenna - help!  I have purchased a Winegard RV-RZ85 Amplified Portable Indoor HD Antenna - am having trouble figuring out how to hook it up to my 2015 T@B C-S Jensen television - the input is already occupied by what I am assuming is the stereo/entertainment system - do I need to disconnect this cable and attach a splitter?  Or where does the Rayzar cable attach to?  Thanks for any help ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Doesn't the T@B have an antenna connection on the side close to the power and water hook ups?

Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • Options
    Sorry, missed the indoor antenna... just take the "F" connector with coax off and hook up antenna and see if it will work inside the T@B

Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA