Options

T@B Aluminum Platform

John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
edited October 2015 in Modifications & Upgrades
Has anyone added the T@B Aluminum Platform to their T@B after purchasing their Unit? I talked with someone in Parts and they said all it required was taking the cover for the battery/propane off and sliding the Platform on and using 4 bolts to secure it.  I assume and please correct me that the propane/battery cover is bolted on? Are there any rivets also holding on ( will have to look today when we go down to load some stuff on a box we just added behind the crank. 
Would like to add one for a generator and small gas can.  Thanks
John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
South Carolina
Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I thought others have mentioned it getting in the way of the stabilizer jacks. Anyone know?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    We have seen the Outback Model and it does not appear that the jacks are impacted. The platform is in front off the actual T@B body,i.e., there is space behind the platform before you get to the T@B body and the jacks are under the T@B body. At least that is was I saw with the Outback. I could be wrong
    Would love to hear from someone who installed it on their unit.
    South Carolina
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I would also like to hear how the aftermarket attachment affected getting to the grey and black dump attachments?

Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    snowballsnowball Member Posts: 9
    Just picked up my 2016 T@b Q Max Tuesday. I ordered it with the Platform and the cover. Not so bad getting to the Jack but a little hard to open the gray water valve. I am no spring chicken And was able to get to both. Ha!
  • Options
    Well we ordered the Platform from Elsie today. Will report on the installation etc . She said it was easy just 4 bolts after taking the propane/battery storage cover off. Most likely will add extensions to the grey and black dumps.
    South Carolina
  • Options
    John&kris, I would be interested in how you add the grey and black dump extensions.  Could you provide pictures if you have a chance please?
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    The aluminum platform on our 2015 Outback does block the front jacks somewhat. The factory jack tool does not operate well with the platform. I cut the jack tool so that I could use it in my power drill. I am happy with the outcome. I use an extra long jack tool for the rear jacks. The aluminum platform also hampers access to the grey and black valves. I added those clear 45 degree elbows. That helps a lot. Still not sure how I will use the platform...maybe I will put a blue 7.5 gallon water container on each side when I go dry camping. I have not figured out to to securely mount them on the platform. 
  • Options
    Allie will try for the pics. However if you go to a RV supply store like Camping World ( or even on line) they have several clear extension tubes in length as well as angles that just twist on to the existing dump tubes. 
    I plan to do what Dave28 did .
    Platform supposed to ship on 11/2/15
    South Carolina
  • Options
    Allie said:
    John&kris, I would be interested in how you add the grey and black dump extensions.  Could you provide pictures if you have a chance please?
    This would work: http://amzn.to/1MqMSJ2

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn Agree. This is one on many in length and angle that will solve any problems of easy access to the dump valves
    South Carolina
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I have the Outback with the platform.  The Rubbermaid Action Packer seems to fit very nicely (Model 1170 is printed on the bottom).  I think Jenn suggested this in another post.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    OutbackAZ said:
    I have the Outback with the platform.  The Rubbermaid Action Packer seems to fit very nicely (Model 1170 is printed on the bottom).  I think Jenn suggested this in another post.
    Does the ActionPacker keep the contents dry?

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    OutbackAZ said:
    Does the ActionPacker keep the contents dry?

Actionpackers are probably the best you can buy for keeping stuff clean and dry without bumping up to the upper echelons in price for thinks in the Pelican category. They do

• Options
    We put a DeeZee DZ6535P box on ours. It has a great lid seal and even has a place on top to set things on where they will not roll of while setting up camp and a place for a drink. We "U" bolted them to the frame.
    South Carolina
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Thanks much. I plan to add storage boxes when I get my T@B (ordered with the platform). I'm thinking I will store sanitation supplies like sewer hose, gloves, and utility hose in one and use the other for the potable water hose, electrical cord, surge protector and other "clean" camping stuff. My goal is to store everything I need for the T@B in or on the T@B itself. Whether that is possible remains to be seen, but it is fun to plan during the long winter wait.

I'm curious how others use their external storage boxes?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    John&Kris said:
    We put a DeeZee DZ6535P box on ours. It has a great lid seal and even has a place on top to set things on where they will not roll of while setting up camp and a place for a drink. We "U" bolted them to the frame.
    You replaced the T@b propane cover with this?

• Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87

It looks like one Rubbermaid 1170 ActionPacker Storage Box, 8-Gallon mentioned by Outback AZ would fit on each side of the propane bottle container.  The DeeZee DZ6535P is much longer and I can only imagine that it would have to be ubolted to the tongue as well as to the platform. Photos showing these boxes on the Outback and the mounts would be helpful.

• Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    Can anyone provide the measurement of the platform from the widest part of the battery/propane box to the outside edge of the platform.  We just ordered our trailer and are researching storage options.  We are curious as to how much room we have to play with.
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
  • Options
    Here is the action packer and 7.5 h2o canister. The packer will be bolted to the platform.  Used for sewer hose, etc. the water canister will be strapped on with racheting tie-downs. Both fit nicely.
    frank
  • Options
    Jenn No I put the box in front of it and behind the jack post. I will remove the battery/propane box slip the aluminum platform on a re bolt everything
    South Carolina
  • Options

Here are a few photos of my use of the platform.  Per Jenn's suggestion, right side Rubbermaid Action Packer.  Left side, two 5 gallon water jugs from Amazon.  The Packer has plenty of room for the shore power cord, garden hose and sewer hose with room to spare

• Options
    That garden hose isn't your drinking water hose, is it?

• Options
    The water hose concerned me too.  The drinking water hose should not be with the sewer hose because of contamination.  My white hose with blue stripe is my drinking hose, I use a green one for the garden hose.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Good points all. All the hoses are new and unused. Just put them in the packer to show the size. You guys are just too observant!
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    Good points all. All the hoses are new and unused. Just put them in the packer to show the size. You guys are just too observant!
    I was hoping that was the case... =)

• Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    Great concept!  Thank you for sharing! Please consider securing the latches on the ActionPacker or strapping down the cover.  Over latches will sometimes come loose.
  • Options
    Would the platform support a small generator? If so, do you have to remove the generator to run it? Would fumes coming into the T@b be an issue?

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jkjenn said:
    Would the platform support a small generator? If so, do you have to remove the generator to run it? Would fumes coming into the T@b be an issue?
    I would think there would need to be some degree of separation between the various intake vents and the exhaust of the generator. If the fridge vent is near, if the A/C vent is near, if the roof vent is open, if one or both or all three windows are open--all would need to be taken into consideration, along with the direction of the breeze.

A few years ago, a family was killed in an RV parked in someone's yard for the family's attendance at the Indianapolis 500 or the Brickyard.. Exhaust fumes from a generator running and placed too close to the RV, allowing the exhaust fumes to enter the RV, killing all occupants as they slept. I never can seem to forget that. Sure, they park those RV's in like sardines, but it didn't need to happen. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks, @Verna. Maybe if you placed on the opposite side of the fridge vents it would be OK. The vent cover is open to the rear and the a/c vent is towards the back, as well.

But, as you pointed out, better to err on the side of caution.