Options

my LED installation

Hello all!

This summer I had many problems with the battery in my RV. It drains too fast. Possibly the LED lamps could help to minimize the consumption of energy. I hope so.

What should I start with? I’m going to leave the current fixtures. How many lumens is it better to take?

It is interesting to know you experience with LED and opinion.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    What kind of RV do you have?  What year? How many inside and outside lights?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I converted over to LED bulbs in my former Silver Shadow but many of the lights were already LED from the factory.  If you have the older style receptacle shown below you can easily convert to LED style bulbs.  I don't know if there is a good answer to "how many lumens" you will need as this is more of a personal preference issue.  The chart below should help out (gives a comparative wattage from incandescent lighting to LED) if you are looking for bulbs and you could also use an LED dimmer switch that would allow you to adjust your lighting to fit your needs.  You can find the bulbs easy enough on-line  (e.g., Camping World, etc.) and you might even contact the factory (contact Elsie Miller) as they do have LED fixtures in their parts store that are easy to install and are very nice.  

Search the forum area too via "one word" searches for best results and additional information as energy consumption is frequently discussed here.  keep in mind too that things like USB ports and LED circuits do sap energy from a battery.  You might also consider installing a battery on/off switch for those times your trailer is sitting idle as this helps in preserving the battery during storage, etc.  

How old is your trailer battery?  If your battery has been allowed to run down below 50% and needs re-charging it does damage the battery over a period of time through a process called battery sulfation.  Maybe a newer battery is needed to ease the problem?  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    travelridertravelrider Member Posts: 2

Thanks Michigan_Mike for your full response.

I have Forest River Sandpiper 38BHDS. 1997.

I want to try these cheap lamps from Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/20X-7000K-White-LED-1156-RV-Camper-Trailer-1141-1003-Interior-Light-Bulbs-13-SMD-/261953184871

It will be for indoor light. In total I need to change them from 35-40.

And for the outdoor light I would like to install this

https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/lighting-fixtures/sensor-light-fixtures/1431490_stl360_rab-lighting/

I need one such lamp.

The battery.. I will test it soon. Maybe you are right, I will not do without its replacement.