Options

Roadside Assistance

BertBert Member Posts: 87
edited December 2015 in Camping & Travel
The dealer offered a deal on Coach-Net roadside assistance to cover tows and so forth that affect the trailer. I've been a member of AAA for some time and have the premier membership that covers RVs. The dealer suggested I cancel AAA since Coach-net provided the same services in a better package for folks who pull trailers. Do others have experience with these companies or have different approaches to handling breakdowns away from home?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The dealer probably gets a commission - Perfectly happy with my AAA - Luckily haven't had to use it.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We had to drop "AAA Plus RV" because AAA Western NY doesn't cover a trailer in tow, only the towing vehicle, or an "RV". I understand that this is unusual for AAA RV, that in most parts of the country they include trailers.

AAA is regional, and has different plans in each local club.

We went with Progressive.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    AAA+RV and I did have to use it. They changed the blown tire on the shoulder of I-70 on a busy Saturday night.   The dispatcher checked frequently by phone with me to make sure I was OK since the traffic was so bad. I can't say enough great things about them. And another time the AAA young technician changed a flat tire during a thunderstorm. His concern was to get me on my way, as much as my motherly instinct was to try to shield him from the storm ;-)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Our AAA is also Western NY, and I emailed them about trailer coverage. They assured me that they will help with an incapacitated trailer, but you can bet that I will read the fine print closely when the time comes to buy roadside assistance coverage. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    We have " Good Sam", came to our aid when my car broke down. Isn't my tow vehicle. Very happy with the service we got.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yeah, I asked a couple of different people, directly on the phone, what would happen if my TV broke down and needed to be towed. They said they'd leave the trailer on the side of the road!

I couldn't believe it.

Photomom said:
    Our AAA is also Western NY, and I emailed them about trailer coverage. They assured me that they will help with an incapacitated trailer, but you can bet that I will read the fine print closely when the time comes to buy roadside assistance coverage. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
     I'm concerned about what my AAA will cover since I read an ad sent to me with my recent Good Sam's account documents. I only have the basic Good Sam's membership but I'd like to know more about RV insurance. Their comparison chart made AAA appear lame. I have coverage with my Nationwide also and will reread just what they will do. Good Sam's mentions a storage provision that cuts the charges for collision and liability for any time you are declaring your RV stored. Theft and comprehensive from storm damage etc. is still in effect. Nationwide doesn't have that provision from what I understand. Makes sense not to pay for what you don't need during that time.  
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    With my AAA coverage out of SD I'm covered even if they have to send out two flatbeds - one for the TV and one for the T@B. My brother - SD coverage again - broke down (fuel pump) in his classic (restored) VW bus in the middle of nowhere WY and they flatbedded it over 100 miles at not charge.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My AAA +RV specifically says they will send out two tow trucks if needed. I wouldn't have the coverage if it didn't take care of my T@B. If Good Sam is giving a different comparison, I would think it's time to check each service personally, rather than relying on the other company's word that their competitor doesn't carry a specific coverage. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    I think the key is "AAA+RV". Good Sam might just be comparing the "normal" AAA provisions. I got my AAA before I got the T@B. I need to call them and check out an upgrade for the RV. I had called my Nationwide agent when I got the T@B and added it to that policy. Thanks for the info. 
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have Good Sam. They are nationwide. From what I understand, AAA is regional. Even if your region offers AAA+RV with trailer coverage, if you break down in a region that does not offer that service, you are SOL as far as your trailer goes. Also, when I bought my T@B (June 2007), I was two months into my AAA membership, they would not let me upgrade until my renewal month the following April. Good Sam was also less expensive than AAA+RV would have been.

I have used Good Sam several times with my cars, and twice with my trailer in tow. Once was my first long distance trip with the T@B, I ran out of gas on my original truck, and they came and gave me some gas to get to the next exit. The second time, I blew a radiator hose on a Sunday evening in Kentucky. They brought two trucks. They towed my truck to a repair shop to be fixed on Monday morning, and gave me a choice of being taken to a campground or a hotel. I found a campground within a few miles of the repair place and they took me there, and placed the camper on the site. It was a Good Sam park that gave me a great deal on the site. The next morning the repair place called me, we agreed on the work that needed done, and they picked me up when my truck was ready.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Carol - With AAA, if you break down, you call a national number and they arrange for the service so you get whatever service your plan covers. You don't get limited sevice just because you happen to be in another region.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    PXLated said:
    Carol - With AAA, if you break down, you call a national number and they arrange for the service so you get whatever service your plan covers. You don't get limited sevice just because you happen to be in another region.
    I'm glad that's the case.

I've been happy with Good Sam though, and the price is well below what AAA+RV quoted me though, and that includes the campground membership, so I'll stick with it.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL