Options

Towing Service for TAB

We recently purchased a TAB Sofitel.  We have Allstate Towing for vehicles.  Do you recommend an additional Tow Package, such as Coach-Net or Good Sams for the trailer. Since the trailer is very small with no slides or complicated electronics, we are debating the actual need of additional towing services.  Please provide your input.  Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
    we went ahead and bought the AAA upgrade for RV's ... for about $40 per year.
    John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    edited June 2016
    Another AAA Plus RV member here.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    AAA Plus RV. When I had a tire blow out on my teardrop, they were prepared to tow both the tow vehcle and the teardrop if needed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Check/ask carefully when you look into the 'AAA Plus RV' coverage. AAA is made up of separate regional organizations that apparently vary regionally as to what their coverage includes.

For example, AAA here in western NY told me that the 'Plus RV' plan would not cover towing a trailer. If my tow vehicle needed towing, they'd leave the trailer sitting on the side of the road.

We cancelled our AAA, and we went with Progressive RV ins. (recommended), and then added towing coverage to our car insurance (for $10 additional per car, annually).
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We have AAA for the cars and Progressive RV insurance for the T@B, which includes towing and glass coverage. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We use Good Sam for the vehicles and the camper. We HAVE had to use them when my truck had an issue. They towed the truck to a repair shop, and since it was Sunday evening, they brought a 2nd truck and took my camper and myself to a nearby campground. Took care of the truck repairs by phone early Monday morning, and was picked up by the repair place on Monday and back on the road by noon Monday.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My sister is traveling to Alaska in her 24' RV.  The RV broke down suddenly, without warning. AAA Plus RV is alive and well in Canada. She was towed to the nearest town Friday and has to wait for the mechanic to figure out what his diagnostic tool is telling him. Love that AAA Plus RV. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 55
    I know this is an old thread ...  We have AAA Plus RV. In 2015 our TV at the time (Volvo XC 70) broke down at the far north end of Nova Scotia. We were towed 250 miles back to the nearest Volvo dealer in Halifax. The RV coverage will tow a trailer up to 200 miles to the nearest safe storage facility. Since we were 50 miles over the limit AND did not want to leave the trailer so far from our TV, it was an expensive tow--about USD $700. It would have been far more without the AAA coverage. Worth the AAA fee in my opinion.

Also, the towing service in Cheticamp, NS took on this tow at 8pm on a Friday night, even crossing the island to pick up our trailer. We arrived in Halifax at 2am. That was some stellar service!!
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @sequimite welcome to the forum. We also have AAA RV Plus. We were stranded in the high pass between Utah and Wyoming back in 2018 when our tow vehicle became disabled. That AAA service dispatched 2 vehicles, one from each state to make sure both the trailer and our tv were handled. Since we were closer to Evanston, Wyoming, a town that had an rv park and several repair shops we were towed there by only 1 of the tow trucks. A second thumbs up for our Tekonsha Prodigy RF system. By simply unplugging our controller from our vehicle and plugging it into the tow truck we were able to take both vehicles with one truck and keep everyone and everything together. There was no fee for this nearly 100 mile tow of both vehicles. Sometimes, you just gotta love it when a plan comes together. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Before you purchase separate tow coverage check your car and trailer insurance for towing coverage. Turns out that my American Family insurance, auto and trailer, cover towing both car and trailer to my choice of shop, etc, no extra charges involved. For me buying towing coverage from Good Sam or AAA would have been money poorly spent. I almost needed a tow once(ended up that a good jump took care of it) and they would have towed my car to my shop of choice, and continued on towing my trailer and me to my home. Good luck with your decision, and enjoy your journey! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Homebodyatheart Becky, I agree. For us, home, auto, additional properties and trailers are all AAA. The RV+ towing is part of the membership and not an additional package. It always pays to check what you already have and not spend extra. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.