Options

Ultra Breeze Install Question

dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
edited December 2015 in Trailer & Towing

I want to install a Ultra Breeze cover for the Fantastic Fan.  The instructions call for drilling (4) holes in the roof to do the install.  Has anyone done this?  Is their an alternative to drilling in the roof?
Thanks
Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Are you sure it's in the roof? With most covers you drill holes in the fan housing (lip) that protrudes an inch or so above the roof.
  • Options
    Yes your correct...it's through the flashing and then into the roof.  I don't know if the roof depth is enough to hold the screws and if so what length of screw is best.

• Options
    I just talked with Pleasent Valley.  I was told I can drill through the plastic flashing.  I will be drilling through 5/16 of roofing material and then into the top of an aluminum box frame that supports the fan.  The drill bit depth should be 1/2 and I should use 3/4 stainless steel screws.

• Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    Did it on the T@G and I did a dnizzy mentions. I put lap sealant in the holes and around the then before screwing the brackets down. Haven't had any issues with leaking or anything else.

Since the roof is curved I used some 1/2" weatherstrip under the front and side edges of the cover. Figured with the curved roof there would be more air flowing under it and this would keep it from getting too much stress going down the road. 1200 mile trip and no issues at all.
  • Options
    The weather strip was a good idea!  It would keep it from moving around and diging into the roofing material.

• Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    It won't be able to dig into the roof. When the cover is installed it's around 1/8 of inch on the side and 1/4" gap on the front. I did the weatherstrip since there is a lot of volume that would be going under there going down the road. It can exit out the back but could act a little like a sail and potentially weaken the screws over time. The other big reason was to fill the gap and keep bugs out from under the cover. Less cleaning to do. FYI, I bought the bug screen for mine.
  • Options
    I do like the idea of weather stripping.  I also bought the bug screen.  My wife is allergic to bees.  Not taking any chances.