T@b trailer electrical brake

We are about to put on a hitch to our Lexus RX350 for our ordered T@B S.  The videos suggest that the electric brakes are a choice.  Being new to RVing, we are not sure whether this is needed or not.  We need to make a decision soon, so any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Most states require brakes on trailers/campers that weigh over 1,500 lbs.  The other states require brakes for over 1,000 lbs.  Connecting the brakes help your car stop in normal circumstances and in emergencies.  If you look at your car's owner's manual, it will give the towing capacity based on having trailer brakes and without. I think you'll find the towing capacity with brakes gives you a better cushion for towing capacity, and braking distance. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    "brakes are a choice" - Pretty much standard on the T@B as far as I know. Never seen one without them.
  • bobncathybobncathy Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for your insight. We have been researching prices for the hitch and to install the electrical brake added an additional $500, so we have wondered how beneficial they are. Now we are debating whether to wire the entire car or use a trailer mounted brake controller called Prodigy. Do you have a preference?  
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    $500 sounds pretty high, I'd shop around - try some utility trailer shops or uHaul. The Prodigy is a nice option. Several forum members have them.
    Uhaul wanted to install the wiring through the firewall of the car and it got very complicated. This prodigy sounds like it would spare the car..
  • RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited January 2016
    Your t@b comes with brakes.  Yes, the Tekonsha prodigy RF model 90250 brake controller, once installed on your trailer tongue (4 self tapping screws) can be used with ANY tow vehicle equipped with 7pin receptacle.  There is nothing installed in your tow vehicle (so no drilling into "firewall" or anything else...)

There is a removable handset that plugs into your cigarette plug in your tow vehicle that operates the brains of the brake controller bolted to the trailer tongue (and linked to the brakes and 7pin recepticle at the back of your your tow vehicle).  

I had my dealer mount mine on my trailer tongue the day I picked up my T@B.   I highly recommend this product.  It is not cheap but it gets your trailer brakes working and as I say saves your tow vehicle from damage. It also means you can use multiple different tow vehicles to tow the t@b. Just unplug the handset from one tow vehicle and plug it into the cigarette plug in the second one and off you go. See photo.  
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Don't forget the Lexus RX 350 only comes with a standard 4 pin flat wire. You will have to see if they have a kit to make it a fully functioning 7pin. Also make sure your RX has the tow package ( this has nothing to do with the hitch) its the trans cooler etc. We are looking at downsizing our Lexus GX to a RX but as of this date they have no aftermarket wiring for the 7 pin our dealer thinks it may be awhile yet to come.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I am very happy with the Prodigy RF brake controller. For me, the self taping screws were not as easy to drill as the video and I ended up having to have someone else do it for me. If you look at the photos of it on the Teardrop Shop site, that's my trailer.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2016
    The tow package that John_and_Kris mentioned ought to include a high-amp alternator too, which is necessary to keep up with the Tab's charging need.

Also, be sure your '7-pin connector' (coming out of the tow vehicle) is wired with heavy gauge wire for the 12v charging wire, and the ground wire. They should be minimum 10ga. (the higher the number, the smaller the wire). They should come (fused) directly from your tow-vehicle's battery/alternator.

The Tab electric system and charging system can draw a high amperage with the three way fridge, so you need heavy wire.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    BobnKathy: Don't forget even with the Prodigy your Lexus will have to have a functioning 7 Pin Plug . I believe for model years before 2016 you can get a 7 pin kit
    South Carolina
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    bobncathy said:
    Thank you for your insight. We have been researching prices for the hitch and to install the electrical brake added an additional $500, so we have wondered how beneficial they are. Now we are debating whether to wire the entire car or use a trailer mounted brake controller called Prodigy. Do you have a preference?  
    With the recommendations from this group I went ahead and purchased the Prodigy controller and couldn't be happier.  This is a simple install and is worth the ease of use and paring the unit with your vehicle.  As noted above, make sure that your vehicle can be adapted to the 7-pin wiring harness and you should be good to go.  Once the Prodigy unit is synced in with your vehicle it is basically plug in and use, with nothing further to do.  The electric brakes can be easily adjusted with the controller and it does come with an easy to use and small instruction card that you can keep with the unit.  No regrets here whatsoever.  

This video will give you an idea of what the Prodigy unit entails.....  

https://youtu.be/ZPoVWcBlsOI?t=20
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    To John and Kris,
    Thanks for your response. We have a 2015 Lexus rx that thankfully had the 7 pin and had a plug in harness that was helpful getting the car ready for the hitch. We had a Prodigy installed on the trailer, so we did not have to go through the firewall. The car seems to be doing well pulling the trailer!
    Bob & Cathy: Glad it's working for you. We just found out that they can indeed put a fuly functioning 7 pin on the 2016 RX so we to will go with the Prodigy when we  sturn the Gx in for the RX. Happy T@Bing
    South Carolina