Options

Sorry-another Alde antifreeze question

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
Is this yellow or green?! At first I thought I had yellow antifreeze but since my reservoir sits underneath my large back cabinets, the light makes it questionable. Elsie told me "they use yellow" but I have no idea who fills them prior to delivery (couldn't get an answer from my dealer). Those who have green - is the green a darker color? Thanks --- Michele

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Michele - the important thing is that you only use anti-freeze (glycol) that is safe for the aluminum components of the Alde system and use a 50/50 ratio with distilled water.  the Prestone LowTox that I use is green in color.  Of course, once diluted, it takes on a lighter hue.  I just checked the bottle of 50/50 I have in the garage - it matches your top photo.  Perhaps the Sierra brand glycol is yellow? If you're worried that someone mistakenly put in "regular" anti-freeze, a system flush may be necessary.  I'm no expert on this topic, so take it for what it's worth.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    Michele - the important thing is that you only use anti-freeze (glycol) that is safe for the aluminum components of the Alde system and use a 50/50 ratio with distilled water.  the Prestone LowTox that I use is green in color.  Of course, once diluted, it takes on a lighter hue.  I just checked the bottle of 50/50 I have in the garage - it matches your top photo.  Perhaps the Sierra brand glycol is yellow? If you're worried that someone mistakenly put in "regular" anti-freeze, a system flush may be necessary.  I'm no expert on this topic, so take it for what it's worth.
    Thanks OutbackAZ --- I'm not worried it's "regular" anti-freeze - just wanted to know what the heck was put in and by whom. I know - many have said it doesn't matter what I put in as long as it's propolyene glycol but there continues to be conflicting opinions so I'd just like to get the same that's in there.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Also keep in mind that the antifreeze that's used to winterize your plumbing is propylene glycol too, and is not the right stuff. I made that mistake once...

The dealer doesn't put the Alde's glycol into the system. It's put in at the factory.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Worry wart ;-)
    Now you know me PXLated! Sometimes I'm reminded to take a chill pill. 

• Options

ChanW said:
    Also keep in mind that the antifreeze that's used to winterize your plumbing is propylene glycol too, and is not the right stuff. I made that mistake once...

The dealer doesn't put the Alde's glycol into the system. It's put in at the factory.
    Elsie told me they use yellow (Century something) which is yellow. Guess I'll go with that. 

• Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
          Got some from Else last week, it was Century, and yellow.    Jim
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Bottle cap? Not me!

=) 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited March 2016
    Sounds like a good assignment for ya connie6465 - Get Alde to specify acceptable brands. Let us know when you have it ;-)
    Edit-Add: Everyone would actually find that helpful.
  • Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    Here's what I found on the Alde app on my iPhone - Alde recommends a glycol of quality G12++ or G13. Our range includes a ready-mixed Premium Long Life Glycol suitable for Alde heating systems.

If you're unable to get hold of the above, you should use a 50:50 mix of ethylene glycol and water. Ethylene glycol (AKA monoethylene glycol, MEG and ethanediol) is an anti-freeze that's also used in car engines and is available from petrol stations, garages and car accessory stores in concentrated form or ready-mixed.

Do not mix anti-freeze containing silicates with anti-freeze containing non-silicate-treated OAT. When diluting concentrated glycol, make sure the water is clean and fresh, and ideally use distilled water. 
    Anti-freeze containing phosphates should only be mixed with distilled water.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    Here's the link to Alde's service app: http://www.alde.se/usa/
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    Please use the Alde product......if you get a leak, you could poison people and animals with "regular" antifreeze.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I bought a bottle of ready to use glycol from Elsie, same stuff that ships in the trailers. It is fluorescent green.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited September 2016
    The G12 or 13 stuff is Volkswagen Group type.  Unfortunately it's the poisonous stuff.  Alde recommends that for their other boiler products in Europe, but not their combo boiler and water heater like we have.

That Alde branded stuff in the photo is NOT the right one!! That is poison.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA