Options

Glamping at South Higgins Lake, Roscommon, Michigan

Torres2906tabTorres2906tab Member Posts: 37
edited July 2014 in Camping & Travel
Third time out with our T@b, Lei-la, this time glamping with my beautiful granddaughter, Olivia. We had a great time and were pretty self sufficient except for some help unhitching/hitching from some fellow campers. The trailer got a lot of attention....a little beauty amongst the giants.

Elaine ~ 2013 T@b U, aka Lei-la. TV 2010 GMC Terrain

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Nice set-up and a great park to camp in!  I'll bet that place is hopping tonight or will be by Saturday morning.   Make sure you stop up at Nibbles and get one of their great ice cream cones.   I spent my childhood days up on Higgins Lake and will camp in the park when the crowd dwindles down some.  Had a great time last fall!

Have a great 4th of July!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Looks fantastic! Olivia must think you are the best!
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    South Higgins Lake State Park is a beautiful camping area (400 camp sites) and it has a great beach area and shoreline running through the expansive park.   If you have a boat there is a nice launch area and small harbor within the park, concession area, park store and walking/biking trails too.  

• Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Hi MIke,
    Where did you get that canopy? Would it fit a T@B? It looks perfect for what I would use one for...
    ren
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I love Michigan more and more... these shots look great. We just returned from Michigan ourselves, and have already booked for next year. Sweet. I like what you have done with your T@b!
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Very nice setup.  Like the addition of the plant.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Ren,

The 10 x 10 XLT Cottonwood canopy is made by Paha Que and you can buy them on-line via their company.  It does have a rope sewn into the one side wall that will adapt to the Keder rail trim on your T@B.  Beth (Wanderoo) just ordered one in May.  

• Options
    Thank you Mike, I am putting that on my list. I really like how you have the back and side shaded. Me and my T@B wanna be you when we grow up!
    ren
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    That's pretty funny (your last sentence above)  Ren!   :))

I can't say enough about the 10 x 10 XLT Cottonwood canopy as like all of Paha Que's tents and shelters it is a well made, quality piece that is both rugged and durable.   But it's like anything else you spend your hard earned money on, you need to be proactive and protect it should any violent weather move into the area.  I have used these structures in windy conditions and really had no issues because I stake my canopy and screen room down good and also use the tensioning strings on the corners.   This unit has the two wind walls (one has the Keder rope sewn into the fabric) and you can purchase two additional wind walls for about $20 each I believe.  What I like about this canopy is that it is lightweight and easy to carry along on my trips.  The aluminum poles have the internal elastic/bungy type cords inside so the poles go up quickly and they store easily in their own separate storage bag.  I use the opposite wind wall for an extension outward from the side as this provides a great place to set your picnic table up and affords more space for living and shade.  

If you are looking for more canopy over the top of your trailer they do make the 12' x 12' canopy but these do not have the wind walls built in as the Cottonwood does.  
  • Options
    Thanks Mike,
    So much to buy... so little cash on hand. Something else to put on my list. Now I know what I want for Xmas for the next 20 years!!

The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Torres2906tabTorres2906tab Member Posts: 37
    Thanks everyone and, Mike, we DID stop at Nibbles! Even got a doggie sundae for 50 cents (vanilla ice cream with a dog biscuit in it) for our traveling companion, Nikki. I've lived in Michigan all my life (55 years) and this is the first summer that I've ever done any exploring. It's why we bought the T@b....we are way overdue for experiencing the beauty of Michigan.
    Elaine ~ 2013 T@b U, aka Lei-la. TV 2010 GMC Terrain
  • Options
    Good for you guys as you picked a great place to camp and explore!   I have taken many canoe trips out of Higgins Lake via the Cutt River that runs south to Houghton Lake and is about 1/4 mile down the road from the park.  There is also the small and quiet marl lake, just across the street from the South SP.  I got into the small mouth bass there one summer where the lake and Cutt River meet.  Hartwick Pines is another beautiful spot to visit and walk through the ancient pine grove where our lumbering industry boomed many years back.  I always enjoy going through the museum there and seeing the displays of the old lumbering camp.  

I hope your stay was fun and relaxing as I love that area of the state and have many fond memories of it while growing up as a young boy!  Thanks for sharing your trip!