Options

Electrical Ground on New T@Bs

DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
edited October 2014 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

Our current battery (pun intended) doesn't seem to last very long boondocking (4-5 hours?), so 'm trying to replace our 56Ah Deka battery with something closer to 100Ah (I think I've found a Deka AGM 80Ah that will be MUCH better); it's been a challenge in our small town.   In the meantime, with all the comments and concern about grounding and clean ground connections, I'm wondering where that is on the newer (ours is 2014/2015) T@Bs.  It certainly isn't off the battery (as a car would be), and I can't see any connection to the frame from the distribution box underneath (picture attached).  Does anyone know where it is (so I can check)? 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My Silver Shadow has a bare copper ground wire screwed to the frame directly under the converter. It goes to a bus ground bar behind the converter, but I had to remove the converter to be able to see this.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Verna...thanks as always...seems an odd place, but I'll check!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

J.D., if you think about a continual ground throughout the T@B or LG, then it should come from the "fuse box", which is the converter.  This way the frame ground can be connected to a bus bar and everything in the T@B will have the common ground.  Much safer that way.

And, looking at your picture, as a retired telephone company technician....that lack of a common color code would drive me nuts!!!  Personal opinion, of course.  I know there were a lot of different colors coming from the rear of my converter.  I didn't have a schematic of the wiring, so I didn't open the rear of the converter.  I didn't need to, and I left well enough alone.  I just spliced the wiring I needed to spice so I could move my 110V outlet in the galley.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    When in doubt, call the factory!   :D
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ