Options

A persistent smell - anyone have similar experience

rgclemensrgclemens Member Posts: 9
edited November 2014 in Tips & Tricks
We purchased our 2014 T@B new in February and noticed a kind of "chemical" smell when we first took possession. Thinking that this might be something like a "new car" smell we figured that this might go away. About a half dozen outings later, we notice the smell when we open it up again when it has been closed up between outings. We thought of many things, the new upholstery, still breaking in the unit, we have the ALDE heating system and thought the gel might have an oder, etc. This is our first posting on the forum - did not notice anyone else mentioning a smell, so thought we would see if this group of knowledgeable owners/interested T@B crowd might have some ideas. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Clemens in VA no T@B now - waiting for our T@B 400! TV = Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited July 2014
    I have the same thing in my new (April 2014) Silver Shadow. It is so strong that it makes my eyes tear up when I first stick my head in the cabin after unlocking the doors heading in to air out. I presume it is the memory foam mattresses in my case, as the 5x10 space is small and when closed up, well, it is closed up, and the vapors have nowhere to go. I will say that once I get the fantastic fan going or leave a door open for a bit it dissipates considerably. If it is not the mattresses, it can only be the treatment on the birch wood, as I don't have an Alde or anything else in the interior that is clearly "plastic" or "chemically treated". I have gotten used to it...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Our 2015 has a slight odor, and it seems strongest from the shower area. I wonder if it could be some of the glues...floor, ceiling, bath, etc. I don't think it's the insulating foam, since it's not spray urethane (which I had a bad experience with in a work trailer in the 80's...as did many from Katrina). p.s. I'm a retired chemical engineer...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Thanks for your comments - memory foam certainly is a possibility as well. The smell has not negatively effected us when we are actively using the T@B and we are looking forward to the next 10 days as we head North.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If I was guessing I'd probably say it was glue or even some of the laminates/silicone sealers used during the build process.   I know that the Little Guy sidewalls have the ends sealed up to protect against water infiltration, so maybe you have a similar process for the floor sections, etc.?   I sent a note of inquiry to the factory and will post up any info I receive back.  I would think that over time the odor will dissipate as curing, drying, bonding and venting take place.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2014
    Okay, I just received a note back from the factory and this is what their recommendations are as follows:

Not any glues...it is 100% the finish on the cabinetry.
    when they come off line, the unit is locked up...if the dealer doesn't open it up and let it breathe, the finish will bake into the unit more than it should...first thing to do is to get some coffee beans/grounds in a cup/bowl and set it on a shelf/counter and it will help to eat it up.

I wonder along with the above advice if you also place a couple of boxes of baking soda open in the unit, if that too would help suck up the odors?   Interesting stuff for sure!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Case in point of the value of this forum - greatly appreciate your comments, research and feedback. We will definitely try these options out and observe the results. Thanks again!
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Good to know!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    When mine was stored outside without power, for the first 2 years, every time I opened it up, it had that smell. It now sits in a garage, and I'm able to keep windows open, and never have that smell again. Even now, 8 years later, after being closed up on the road, there is a slight closed up smell when first opening it up upon arriving at a campground, especially if it's hot outside.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I leave my roof vent open when we're home,  I still notice a minute odor, but not a bad one. That new T@B smell, nothin' wrong with it.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Just a bit different than the new car smell ;)  I have a vent cover on my Fantastic Fan so I can leave the FF vent open all of the time.  I don't notice a smell.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, I wondered about that smell for the first 6-8 months we had ours. Doesn't seem to bother me now, so it must have dissipated some. I thought it might be the rubber hoses in the heating system.

Nice to hear what the factory says. Thanks Mike.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya