Options

Got new tires...

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited May 2016 in Trailer & Towing
Thanks for your recommendation Verna, re the Carlisle tires. I actually hunted around a bit for alternatives, having seen some 5-year-old posts about problems with Carlisle, but they seem to have addressed their quality control issues maybe, cuz the bad reviews stopped appearing.

14" ST trailer tires aren't so easy to find choices for! I was ready to go with the Goodyear line that Camping World carries, until I saw on Goodyear's datasheet that the max speed rating is 50mph!

Anyway, the Carlisle 'Radial Trail' is no longer available (contrary to the Carlisle website), but it's been replaced with the Triangle TR643 (a Carlisle company, according to my tire dealer). The nice thing is the speed rating is 75mph, and I thought ST tires were inherently rated to a max of 65mph. So that's a nice cushion.

I hope these have the same 'cool running' aspect that Carlisle have a reputation for.
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChanW, you are very welcome. I checked yesterday, and my Carlisle's look just fine. (They haven't moved since April 4th when I got back from AZ).

They were so very smooth on for the last 6 weeks of my journey and for the trip home. I'll stick with them since they seem to work so well. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    Just to follow up...

Regarding these 'Triangle' ST tires, other than not being geometrically correct, after some research, it turns out they're not made by Carlisle, but are a major China tire manufacturer (wish me luck!) 

I couldn't find much of anything negative (anything substantial) written about the brand, and they've been around for over thirty years, w/ a strong worldwide market. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChanW my original tires didn't have a brand name on them, nor a "made in......". If I had less than 4,000 miles and they looked new when I left home...keep an eye on the tires.

I bought my Carlisle tires at Discount Tire, which apparently is a national chain. With as much as I travel, $285 for two tires is a small price to pay for some peace of mind. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”