Options

S Model questions

we went out today and looked at the T@b S model, CSS model, and the A-liners. We think we will be getting a T@b "S" model.  That being said, we realize we probably won't cook in it, we will probably bring along a Coleman stove or grill and cook outside.  Just wondering if anyone has pulled out the stove and fridge and installed a bench or cabinets in their place???

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Can't recall if anyone has done it after the fact but seem to recall someone custom ordered it that way.
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    We cook in our S all the time.  Not really sure why people think this is such a big deal.

We open the  front window a little bit and turn fan on low exhaust.  Works good even with AC on...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I cook outside most of the time, but that 50 mph windstorm in January in AZ sure made a believer out of me about having the backup plan of having the inside stove. 

But, as PXLated said, you can order whatever you want from the factory or you can make whatever changes you want to your own T@B. You know how you want to camp. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Wind in the SW made cooking outside a big, big problem. Between that and spring rains I got rid of all my outdoor cooking stuff except my WeberQ which does well in wind. Indoor kitchen for me all the way.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We are longtime tent campers and plan to cook outside, except when we can't. On our last trip we knew the last morning would be rainy so we packed up our Coleman stove and other stuff the night before, and made our coffee on the inside kitchen. It is nice to have the option.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    It's nice to have the stove to cook on when the weather dictates it, otherwise we cook over a fire.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    edited June 2016
    Same as many other S model owners, we cook outside and in fact have never used the cook top. But, we too see the utility of having a "backup plan", and  we would not order an S model without the fully equipped kitchen including the cook top. If you are planning to cook outside, one small modification that we'd recommend would be to ask the dealer to move the refridgerator door hinges to the left. That way, the refrigerator will be more easily accessible from outside, and it can be still easily opened while one is inside. 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    But difficult to reach inside the fridge while inside with the door reversed from my experience.
  • Options
    Machak88 said:
    If you are planning to cook outside, one small modification that we'd recommend would be to ask the dealer to move the refridgerator door hinges to the left. That way, the refrigerator will be more easily accessible from outside, and it can be still easily opened while one is inside. 
    You can very easily do this yourself. There are instructions in the installation manual. The door opens maybe 150 degrees, and you can still access the fridge from inside.
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    edited June 2016
    I should mention that we have a 2-way fridge (120V/12V), like those that come in CS models (we ordered that modification). Our fridge door opens fully and inside access is not limited,  but our fridge is different than 3-way one that is standard equipment on S model. 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    Ah, check the installation manual that came with your fridge or find it online with the model number. These fridges are meant to be used in all kinds of small trailer configurations and the 3 way was obviously designed to be used either way. Would expect the same of the 2 way.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We use the inside kitchen, but not often. Only when 'necessary' (or convenient)...
    • Quick breakfast before departing
    • Coffee stop or quick lunch on the road
    • Exhausted at end of driving day, before bed 'snack'
    • Wait out nasty storm stop coffee
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sounds like you actually (conveniently) use it a lot :-)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    No, actually, but nothing beats the incognito (perfect) cup of coffee at the rest area...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya