Options

Programmer for 2006 Chevy Avalanche

ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
Have been kicking around the idea for a programmer for my 2006 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L Vortec. I am looking at the one made by Superchips PAQ 5 model.  Just wondering if anyone here has tried the modification. I have read the reviews for them on-line, but would rather hear practical use feed-back if possible, ie: towing application, horsepower and torque increase as well as gas mileage increase. Any and all input would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    What is a " programmer" for your Avalanche?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sorry if was really vague. It programs the computer in the truck for the engine, transmission shifting, and towing capabilities. it is supposed to increase gas mileage, performance and torque. I was just curious about the practical application, and what experiences anyone here might have had. I hope that answers your question. If not, please feel free to comment.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    That's a good explanation. This ole COBOL programmer was trying to figure out how to keep a nerd in your Avalanche!  ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2016
    A lot of gearheads use HP Tuner when swaping Vortecs into their older Land Cruisers (http://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/80-series-tech.9/).  Look for threads by RockJock82.  If you are near Tucson he can help you out.  Jonathan (RockJock82) really knows his Vortec engines and re-tuning.

Here is his youtube channel.  As you can see, he reprograms all the time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjTlqczYsYPtfA_w_YeoPng
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    Need to make a correction to my initial post: Superchips Flashpaq 5 is the correct nomenclature. Source3, thanks for the info. My oldest son is a master mechanic, and has done about twenty of these applications himself, all with good feed-back. I was just wondering if anyone on this site had tried the application so I would have more of a "hands on" feed back. Thanks so much for the info though. I will definitely :) take a look on youtube at his application as well!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Up-date on the programmer: AWESOME! After having to pull two fuses for the chimes on the door, and radio fuse...wow, what a difference. I have it in economy mode right now, but in two weeks will switch to tow mode for a 10 day trip. Will give updates as this progresses. =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Sweet!  I have no idea what you are talking about :) but I love my Avalanche with factory towing package and 5,000 lb capacity.  I will be very sad when it is finally de-comissioned way on down the road.  It is my second Avalanche. 'Glad you got yours humming along as desired!!!   Mine has never failed me.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    RollingLagrima, It wasn't a matter of getting it "humming" down the road as much as now I can change the computer settings in the vehicle for towing, economy, and/or performance in a matter of 10 minutes! Took it for a drive today, and the settings made a BIG difference on the fuel economy over the factory settings. I am anxious to see what it will do in "tow mode". Supposedly makes more torque for the motor, and doesn't down shift so much on hills. Will post here when I get to that point the middle of July as I am making a trip over Sherman pass by Republic. :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Update: The trip over the pass went well as planned, and the programmer worked as expected. Less down-shifting on hills, and better torque. Good decision to purchase. The best part is now that I'm back, I can re-program back to the economy setting until I tow again.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Dang ... nothing available for either of our vehicles - her 4runner or my Tacoma.

Thanks to you though I'm now currently obsessing on a cold air intake system for my Tacoma :joy: The trick is to find one that they will ship into communist California.

• Options
    Used to live there, know what you mean! :o
    Spokane, Wa.