Options

Cowans Gap SP, PA review

ScooterScooter Member Posts: 14
As promised...  I said I would start writing reviews of parks in the "mid-Atlantic" region for those that live out this way.  First off, I'm writing this on my mobile...   So please excuse me for any autocorrects or misspellings that happen along the way.  These are my opinions, and my alone...   Your mileage may vary...  We all have different view points so take it for what it's worth.  So on to the good stuff...

Cowans Gap....   For my first real foray into visiting state parks in the area, boy did I hit a home run on this one....   This place is simply amazing!  1,000 acres of secluded Pennsylvania nothingness!   I found the sites spacious and "roomy".   I do camp with my ever present companion Miss Cleo so I'm relegated to the "pet areas" but driving around I didn't really see a bad spot.  I would be happy with just about any.   There's a nice 42 acre lake within a 10 min walk, and lots of hiking trails if that's your thing ( the beach area was crowded and pets weren't allowed so I don't venture into that).  The park closed for a year and was renovated in 2012, so the bathhouses were very clean and updated.  HOT water is always a nice perk!    Most sites have 30 amp electric service.   A dump site is available.   Lots of families and children so be prepared for kids riding bikes down the road all day.  This doesn't bother me as I was a child once and that what I always did while camping.  DCNR and park rangers seem to patrol the area regularly.  I had no issues with noise or complaints so I can't comment how they handled those situations.  They made their presence known but it wasn't intrusive.  For supplies there really wasn't anything "close".  It would be at least a 30 to 1 hour drive before you find anything.   I had zero cell phone service.  Which doesn't bother me because im
camping to get away from the rigors of life. Overall, I would highly recommend anyone give this place a try if you are in the area and just don't know where you want to go.  I found it to be a nice place.   I only stayed Fri thru Sun but left feeling refreshed and ready for the work week ahead.  And that's what this is all about right!?!?   

Comments