Options

Can T@B Maxx S be towed with BMW X3 28d in the rockies?

AceiAcei Member Posts: 4
I own a 2016 X3 with 2.0L diesel engine. It has plenty of torque - 280 but its HP is only 180. Can I tow the heaviest variant of T@B over the rocky mountains safely? I checked with the dealer, and with  the official dealer installed tow hitch, I can pull up to 3500lb.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We have a 2012 Tacoma, TRD Off Road and towing packages...236hp and 266 ft-lbs torque, towing capacity rated as 6500lbs (ha).  While I can pull our T@B over any pass here in Colorado, it's often sloooow going, having to downshift the manual as low as 2nd.  Since your X3 probably doesn't have boosted transmission cooling or modified differential for the strain, I would advise against it.  T@B dealers will tell you anything to get a sale, and car dealers aren't much better (although BMW may be different...maybe try contacting a dealer in n Denver?)

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    I personally wouldn't have a problem using a 3500 lb tow capacity vehicle to tow a Maxx S. Verify that's really the tow capacity (quick online check implies that it is) and not just a dealer blowing smoke.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    AceiAcei Member Posts: 4
    BMW Canada confirmed it...
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Instead of asking salesmen about towing capacity. Why not call the service department?  They have no skin in the game to make a sale.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Make sure, of course, that you have the 7-pin wire and brake controller installed with the hitch.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    This kind of question comes up a lot. For a quick idea there is a handy look up tool at  http://trailers.com/tow-capacity/

Most manufacturers publish vehicle specs on their web sites too, as well as in owners manuals. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York