Options

Brake cable installation, etc., what do dealers include?

I am taking delivery of my T@B Outback this month and am so excited! I need to know if the dealer includes the price of installing the brake cable as part of the price of the camper. My TV has a towing package. Is there anything else they should include with the camper? I know the dealer is the best one to ask, but I wanted to find out what others have experienced and what is customary. I have not spoken with the dealer about specifics yet and would appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I think the answer is yes...if you mean the 7 pin connector cable that comes with the T@B, and should marry nicely with your tow package.  Either search this forum, or bring an experienced RV friend with you when you pick up the T@B...LOTS of questions you should ask if this is your first RV!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Tow Vehicle Tow Package does not always include 7-pin wiring. I wouldn't think that the T@b dealer would ordinarily include any modifications/upgrades to your tow vehicle as part of the T@b purchase deal, unless you've explicitly negotiated them. You need to see what your tow vehicle "tow package" includes, and upgrade that if necessary. The T@b dealer may be willing / able to do that upgrade (if necessary), a dealer for your tow vehicle may be able to do that, or it seems (as has been my experience) that a local "trucks and trailers shop" might do this best.

The tow vehicle 7-pin wiring needs to include the line to supply 12v power to charge the battery while under tow (a "tow package" on a vehicle normally includes an higher capacity alternator to provide sufficient power to do that), the normal lights/turn signals, and the line to control the brakes. You'll need a brake controller installed in your vehicle to control the power to the trailer brakes; some folks are going with wireless models that don't use that line in the 7-pin connector.  I think I paid around $250 for the brake controller, the installation of same, and for upgrading the 4-pin wiring that came with my vehicle's tow package to the necessary 7-pin wiring.

The T@b includes the necessary trailer-side brake wiring, as well as the emergency break-away brake cable, so that should be included, installed, by the dealer. The T@b dealer should also show you the correct way to connect it, and verify that the brakes are working. There is lots of information on this forum on various opinions about the correct way to connect your chains and the break-away cable. Hopefully that will match up to what your dealer shows you.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My dealer did not deal with anything on the tow vehicle side. My TV had the factiry tow package but that had a four pin connector not the seven and no charging wire. I had to get that converted on my own.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yes, depends on the RV dealer.  Some will do the work, others do not.

If your dealer does not, they should be able to recommend a good hitch installer that would be able to make the necessary modifications.

Before you do any of that, check with your auto dealer to make sure it would even need to modifications and exactly what the tow package includes.  What you are looking for is the inclusion of a line to charge the trailer battery while it is under tow.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Agree with all above. If you choose a "wireless " brake controller you will still need the 7 pin for charging battery. What is you Tow Vehicle? Some TV are pre wired for a brake controller most are not. Have you checked to see that it can legally handle the T@B GVWR of 2,800lbs?
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God