Options

Maiden Off-road Trip for M@bel!

Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
edited August 2016 in Camping & Travel
We took M@bel on her first trip off-road back into Pike National Forest, CO near Rampart Reservior.  Nothing fell off or apart (although a piece of paper managed to get securely stuck under the cabinet under the fridge).  We were woken by a noisy coyote at 2:30am, so jumped out and got a night shot with the Milky Way.  
Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Gorgeous shots!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Awesome thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Can I ask just how rough were the roads you took her on on a scale of one to ten - one being maintained gravel or fire road and 10 being the Rubicon?

After buying our Outback we are still struggling with the concept of being offroad - we don't want to push too hard and break it and get stranded - and then again if it can't handle some rough roads why did we buy it?
  • Options
    I'd say a 3.  The road is full of fairly deep mud holes, some rocks under 1' and a bit of 25* angle driving in places.  The Outback did great and could have handled rougher, IMO.
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Did you go up 24 through WP? Love kayaking on Rampart Reservoir! Take it your Jeep pulled it with no probs.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options

I did.  Hwy 24 to WP, take Rampart Rd at the McDs intersection.  Follow that to Voy Rd.  Go straight when you get to the intersection of Voy and Rampart Range Rd.  They call it Shubarth Rd at that point, but it becomes FS307...just follow it till you want to stop or it ends.  :-)  The Jeep pulled it with no issues at all.  I didn't even need to go into 4-wheel drive.  We had a full fresh tank and 33% full on the black tank going up.