Lagun Table Pedestal - Mod for Outside Use

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
edited April 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I've enjoyed using the Lagun table pedestal and decided to bite the bullet and mount an additional face plate on the outside of my T@B.  I found out that in the stock factory condition the aluminum mounting bar cannot be tightened down sufficiently (it's too close to the fender) to allow the table to be lowered down low enough to be used as a dining table outside the trailer.  The interior mounting plate inside the trailer sits just below your knees against the bench area, but once it is mounted outside the trailer it sits higher up (at it's lowest mounting point) and the table cannot be lowered sufficiently for dining use and is more like a bar top style table.  

Attached Image

I contacted the factory and informed them of my findings.  I was informed that the Lagun accessories are purchased from a distributor here in the US, but that the Lagun pedestal is actually designed and manufactured in Sweden so inasmuch as changes might sound easy, there is difficulty in making these types of changes, so I decided to figure things out on my own, consulted with a nearby machine shop and made the changes in real time so that I could use the table both in and outside the trailer.  Obviously there are other viable alternatives (e.g., cutting the pipe an in inch and a half shorter opposite the existing mounting point and installing a duplicate plastic mounting head there as this solves the issue, etc.) but this fix does work and you can make your own decisions should you choose to modify your Lagun pedestal mounting bar and use it in a similar manner.  

Attached Image

Since the pedestal bar is approx. 19-1/2" in length and the plastic top mounting piece sits inside the bar approx. 1-1/2" I had the machine shop cut the tensioning groove to within 3" of the top edge of the bar or an inch and a half from the bottom of the plastic mounting piece.   I also had them drill an additional hole through the bar down about 6" from the top of the bar.  I'm guessing that you could alter this an additional inch upward or 5" an this will still allw the bar to be tightened down enough to hold the bar snuggly against the face plate.  

Attached Image

When mounting an additional face plate outside the trailer (as shown above) it is best to snug the plate up tight to the outside electric receptacle on the newer T@B units, mark the holes with a pencil, pre-drill small pilot holes through the fiberglass exterior, insert the composite offset piece & face plate, use silicone caulk in each hole and screw the face plate down snuggly to the side of the trailer.  No nuts & bolts are needed here and the wood screws supplied by the factory do work well and the screws will be nice and tight into the wood inside the trailer bench area.  It obviously is a good idea to look things over good before drilling any holes and ensure that you are satisfied with this mod as you want to be spot on and happy with the outcome.  

Notice how far the pedestal bar drops down and I undid the locking bolt from the lower hole (used for inside the trailer), flipped it around and used it opposite the fender of the trailer as this allows you to snug the bar down against the face plate easily and the table will sit just above the top of the outside mounting plate and the table is now usable (user friendly if you will) and not so high up on the side of the trailer.  I couldn't be happier with this mod and although this did cost me a few $$$ in labor/time it was a good investment and well worth the upgrade as Linda and I will now be able to leave the bed up and maximize use of the table outside when we are set up at any location.  

Attached Image

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Nice mod Mike! Thanks for all the info/directions and pictures!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2016
    ericnliz said:
    Nice mod Mike! Thanks for all the info/directions and pictures!
    Not a problem and hope it helps others out who want to use their tables outside the trailer.  This simplifies things and as I stated above, this maximizes use of the Lagun set-up and makes it nice to be able to use the table outdoors, enjoy outside dining/morning coffee, etc. without the need to sit at a picnic table and also eliminates the need to haul around an extra table for this purpose while traveling.  I can't wait to put it to full use and hopefully that occurs soon!   =)

If you have the means of cutting the aluminum cleanly and doing the same with the tensioning hole you can obviously save a few $$ and do this at home.  I don't have a drill press, nor a diamond blade cutting saw so I opted for the boys down the street and let them complete it for me cleanly so as not to cobble up the pedestal bar.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks, Mike. Now to have my machine shop owner neighbor to make the cut and drill the hole for me. I just have to email him the info. 

(I don't want to ruin one of my expensive table saw blades cutting the slot. He can do it and not ruin anything.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Mike, I was going to have the dealer install the outside bracket, since it wasn't done at the factory. I backed off when they showed me the clearance between the pedestal and camper body. The factory did send a spacer, but it doesn't look nearly as thick as on your T@b. Did your spacer come with your bracket kit? it looks much thicker.  I will need to mount mine to the right of the cargo storage door.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Michigan_Mike I'm getting ready to do this mod and they sent me some 3 1/2" SS wood screws to use with the spacer, does that sound about right to you? I will also need to modify the aluminum pedestal piece and I'm hoping I can do this with all the tools I have at home. Like putting a aluminum cutting blade on a makita cut/off grinder to cut the tensioning groove freehand. Anybody out there try this on your own?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    Went over to my brothers house on Sunday and used his milling machine to cut the tensioning groove and drill the hole...now just to mount the lagun bracket between the storage door and the wheel well.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    dsatwork said:
    Went over to my brothers house on Sunday and used his milling machine to cut the tensioning groove and drill the hole...now just to mount the lagun bracket between the storage door and the wheel well.

I'm getting ready to do that job myself. Please let me know how it goes.  Seems like Mike told me that he had used longer screws than the ones that were sent to him. I will try to send you his response to my question. Wish I had access to a milling machine so I could make that adjustment.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Mike replied saying that 3 1/2" sounded about right. I think you can cut that with a metal blade on a circular saw or a cut off grinder. Other than how it looks when its off of the bracket, it doesn't really matter what it looks like. You can't see that groove when it's mounted to the lagun bracket.
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Carbide tipped circular blade does a wonderful job on aluminum.  $20 to $40 for blade depending on size, number of teeth. 
    Table saw, or radial arm saw works well.   Not sure I'd try a handheld circular saw on aluminum...a pinch/kickback would be more problematic.   Good luck.  Kim
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

The suggestions I've made should only be tried at your own risk. I am no way responsible for death or dismemberment if anything I suggested fails dramatically.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    dsatwork, we have a similar arrangement with our neighbor. He loans us his extendable ladder with the understanding that if one of us falls he has never seen it before in his life. So far so good! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    dmerzbac said:
    Mike, I was going to have the dealer install the outside bracket, since it wasn't done at the factory. I backed off when they showed me the clearance between the pedestal and camper body. The factory did send a spacer, but it doesn't look nearly as thick as on your T@b. Did your spacer come with your bracket kit? it looks much thicker.  I will need to mount mine to the right of the cargo storage door.
    We, too, need a thicker spacer.  Thought about buying a cheap white plastic cutting board and cutting it down to size for use as a waterproof spacer.  The much bigger problem we ran into today is about drilling the holes needed to bolt on the faceplate in the outside wall for outdoor mounting.  If we drill holes through the wall of our 2017 Max-S T@b which is several inches thick AND then into a wood support wall inside plus any spacers needed outside for the table to clear the camper wall as it rotates a bit, we have exceeded the length of the custom bolts and locking nut that came in the Lagun table mount kit we ordered from TeardropShop.  Our hardware store does not carry any suitable longer bolts.  Any suggestions?
    dmerzbac said:
    We, too, need a thicker spacer.  Thought about buying a cheap white plastic cutting board and cutting it down to size for use as a waterproof spacer.  The much bigger problem we ran into today is about drilling the holes needed to bolt on the faceplate in the outside wall for outdoor mounting.  If we drill holes through the wall of our 2017 Max-S T@b which is several inches thick AND then into a wood support wall inside plus any spacers needed outside for the table to clear the camper wall as it rotates a bit, we have exceeded the length of the custom bolts and locking nut that came in the Lagun table mount kit we ordered from TeardropShop.  Our hardware store does not carry any suitable longer bolts.  Any suggestions?

To mount the Lagun bracket on the outside, you will need the thick spacer from PV. (spacer is either white or gray depending on outside color of your T@b) They will also send 3 1/2 inch screws. My dealer was also sent the spacer, nuts, and bolts, but those are for doing an inside mount. The screws will go into the wood supports to the rear of the wheel well. Just be sure to measure very carefully before drilling. You may have to add extra wood on the inside to be sure all four screws bite into the wood. I wish I had known about the thicker spacer and screws when I picked up my camper. I would have had the dealer do the work. Now I will be installing the bracket.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Well I finished the outdoor lagun bracket installation.
    Thanks to @Michigan_Mike for the great tutorial and @dmerzbac for all the great suggestions

Also, I've been storing the lagun bracket in the passenger wheel well compartment. It lays on top perfectly allowing you to place the lid on top of it and still have most of the storage underneath. I can't be the only one doing this, but I don't remember ever seeing anyone show a pic of this so, I'm adding one here.

Great responses...thanks so much. Follow on:
    1. Longer screws? Hmmm.  Not bolts with the locking nuts as in the Lagun package?  (Our pedestal is the square kind, jfyi) We removed the cover on exterior electric outlet to look at the thickness of the fiberglass wall.  Our azdel wall panels are very thick (nearly 3 inches if I recall, plus mount cover, plus spacer, and then there is about a 3/4 inch plywood wall inside the camper in that location which is part of the passenger seating structure. If we did use screws that just do reach to bite into the interior wood, that last grip length tip of the screw is primarily what holds the heavy table and in place....the azdel panel is just a pass thru, seems quite a bit more length or as Lagun designed, a longer bolt with locking nut, is needed to keep the load off the fiberglass wall panel. Thoughts?

2.  We left a message for teardropshop...is there someone else we should be calling?

3.  The pedestal tabletop that came with our trailer is quite heavy and hard plastic top.  However, underside is particle board.  Did anyone paint or varnish that before using outside in case rain gets under it?

4.  Now that we are thinking about spacers...the inside mount from factory could use a thicker spacer because inside the table pedestal is already rubbing against our "ultra leather" cushion edges."

Thanks!

dsatwork, that looks great! Did you have to add any extra support inside next to the wheel well? Were the screws long enough?  Also, thanks for the photo of the Lagun in the passenger storage area. I did not even think about putting it in that location.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

@Mariner459, calls about the T@B should go to the nuCampRV factory, the manufacturer of your T@B. Their telephone numbers are on the right under contact numbers.  If Elsie in Parts doesn't have your answer, she will transfer you to someone with the answer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    edited March 2017
    Called Elsie.  She knew about issues with wall mounting but since we bought it from teardropshop she would not help us.  Teardrop shop said they've never had anyone ask these questions and they don't have any parts to supplement; advised us to just return it.  Very frustrating.  Left message asking Elsie if we can buy kit from her and extra spacers and correct bolts....and if we do, will she help us then?  Pleasant Valley, Nucamp, Little Guy, Teardropshop, mergers, dissolved partnerships, different answers here, there...oh my goodness. Problems with our Seelevel also. Frustrating to be a newbie it feels. Good us griefus, Batman!
    @Mariner459, it's down to less than a month for the "divorce" to be final. There may be hiccups afterwards, but there will be one place to call, nuCampRV.... unless you order parts from elsewhere. 

I'd say return it, and just deal with Elsie from here on out. Yes, she will help you if you order from her. Plus we Admins and Moderators can help also if you order from nuCampRV.

And here's the way the company names are: Little Guy is the Marketing arm for nuCamp RV (formerly Pleasant Valley Teardrop) UNTIL April 1, 2017. After April 1st, nuCamp RV will have their own in-house marketing forces. Little Guy will no longer be associated with T@B's, T@G's or Cirrus Truck Campers after April 1, 2017. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Thanks for run down.  Very helpful.  
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Verna, as of this morning there are no contact numbers or posts in the contacts folder on the right. Mariner59 you can find NuCamp online and get numbers there. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    dmerzbac said:
    dsatwork, that looks great! Did you have to add any extra support inside next to the wheel well? Were the screws long enough?  Also, thanks for the photo of the Lagun in the passenger storage area. I did not even think about putting it in that location.
    Yep the screws were long enough at 31/2", just using the gray spacer provided. Yes, I had to add an extra 2x2 on the wheel well side. You might not have to, if you measure really carefully. If I were over 1/4" to the left, it would have landed on the 2x4 in the wheel well side. The problem is, I can do anything...but I'm a hacker and not precise at all. Bottom line,,,,I'm really happy with how it looks and works and even more important than that....@Sandiegogal likes it too.
    Verna, as of this morning there are no contact numbers or posts in the contacts folder on the right. Mariner59 you can find NuCamp online and get numbers there. Good luck!
    Click on the title of the discussion in Contact Numbers. All of the nuCamp phone numbers are near the bottom. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Elsie called back and offered us a spacer and some screws.  CC charge about $24 but means we can use the $80 kit we had ordered from TeardropShop to mount exterior table bracket.  Thanks!  Thinking we need a thick spacer inside to get the table pedestal off the cushions, it is very close to them when we sit down; may rub.
  • RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    This is an excellent mod Michigan Mike (GO BLUE, I'm an alumni). I am going to do this on my clamshell. My question is where is the sweet spot  to mount on a clamshell? It would be nice to swing it back near the galley to use for food prep , but swing it around to use for dining and  beverages at chair height. Where is it structurally suitable?  Any ideas?

2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback

This is an excellent mod Michigan Mike (GO BLUE, I'm an alumni). I am going to do this on my clamshell. My question is where is the sweet spot  to mount on a clamshell? It would be nice to swing it back near the galley to use for food prep , but swing it around to use for dining and  beverages at chair height. Where is it structurally suitable?  Any ideas?

Seriously, I know I've seen a photo on this forum of a clamshell with the outdoor Lagun mount. If you start looking at the posts in the category of Introductions, it might be there. I did a double take with the photo because it was not where I'm used to seeing it. If you can't find it, give nuCamp a call Monday and they'll be able to tell you. Maybe a Clamshell or CS owner of a later model will speak up. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    Thanks Verna. I grew up in Terre Haute and am a Hoosier at heart. Will look for some CS pictures. I will be getting a 2015 CS-S Max soon.
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Silver320Silver320 Member Posts: 30
    My T@B has the factory installed outside mount but I need to switch the lower tension handle to the left side of the leg so that it does not hit the fender.  I am mechanically challenged and can't figure out how to get the bolt out of the hole.  It seems to be secured/locked in there some how.  Any suggestions on removing it would be appreciated.   

Also, Anyone know what they are doing different with the 2018 models?  I've seen pictures of the 2018 T@B with the outside table lowered to chair height (like this mod).  I inquired of Parts@nucamp what they were doing different  but did not learn much from their terse reply of "We are still using the same lagun mount and system that we always have."  
    2017 T@B Max S (Silver-Silver), TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    States Visited Map
  • drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    When I complained about not having enough clearance to turn the table without scratching the side of the trailer and the bar hitting the trim, they sent me a second spacer.  Right now I have cobbled a bunch of washers to add room.  Will remove these and add the second spacer and let you know how it works.
    edited June 2017
    Personally I would do and did for that matter the fix @Michigan_Mike showed us. Because it's a much cleaner looking fix than having the lagun table hanging off the side by an inch or more. Just my two cents.