Options

Where do I buy glycol for Alde heater in Canada?

I bought my Tab last year and I was wondering if the propylene glycol is sold in Canada or do I have to have an RV dealer order it for me. The dealer I bought it from is 3 hours away. Went to a local RV dealer and they said could not find one that was safe for aluminum parts for the Alde. Model is the 3010.  Any help would be appreciated. Want to be prepared for next year.

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Best bet, go to an auto supply store and get the glycol that is generic for all uses. that's what I use in all my vehicles, and I have an aluminum radiator in my '72 1/2 ton Chevy. Never had a problem, and it's cheaper than the name brands.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DProDPro Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, I will check it out.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    No problem , happy to help!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There's several threads on glycol - One source is you can get it from Elsie at the factory. Way back when, Sierra Low Tox was the recommendation - I got mine at an auto parts store. Not all of them carry it though.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you can't find it locally, Dpro, you can call Elsie in Parts at the factory, Pleasant Valley in Ohio. The phone number is on the right under contact numbers. (Yes, shipping across the border, fees, etc., but it's better than not having the glycol.) 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2016
    DPro, some European cars use the required 'glycol with corrosion inhibitors', so I'd think you should be able to find it at an auto parts store. The one that I've gotten is made by Prestone, and is called LowTox.

Careful when you ask for 'RV glycol', that they don't give you the glycol that's intended for winterizing the plumbing in an RV (it's not the same!). Happened to me...

I've heard that the glycol for hydronic radiant heat (in your home) will work too, as long as it has the corrosion inhibitors (but you might have to buy that in a large 55 gallon drum :| ).
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DProDPro Member Posts: 9