OH, the fridge door!

ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
While I was taking the panel off the front of the fridge to check the hose recall, [mine is fine thank goodness!] my thoughts turned to the operation of the fridge door. Liz and I had the discussion last camping trip about the door opening towards the trailer door, and the need to get inside the trailer to get things out of the fridge. Since we do 99% of our cooking outdoors, the hinge swap was the solution, and was really quick and easy. 
Tools required: Phillips screwdriver
                         Flat tip screwdriver
                         7/16" wrench [not necessary if large enough flat tip screwdriver is used]
REMOVE ALL OBJECTS FROM INSIDE OF FRIDGE DOOR! TURN FRIDGE TO "OFF" POSITION
#1 Remove "pin" from fridge door, [the one that fits in the top left hole] open fridge door.
#2 Remove screw securing the pin w/chain [has an eyelet on the other end of the chain from the pin] from the top left hinge with the Phillips screwdriver, replace screw in hinge, set pin w/chain aside [you'll need later]
#3 Remove top bolt from right-hand top of door going in to the hole on the top right of the fridge door, [you can either use the 7/16 wrench, or large flat tip screwdriver] set aside, [you'll need later]remove door while open by lifting straight up, set door aside [you'll need later] ;)
#4 Bottom hinge is now visible with a "pin" going straight up with a washer sitting over the pin. Remove the washer, set aside [you'll need later]. That pin has a slot in the top, use the flat tip screwdriver to remove, set aside.[ YUP, you'll need later!]
#5 There are a couple of places you can secure the pin w/ chain on the right top side. You can either use the outer most screw on the top hinge, or, [like I did] use the screw nearest the door on the black fridge frame directly across from the top hinge. This is more or less a personal choice, so, pick one you feel is best suited for you. Remove the screw of choice, place the eyelet on the chain w/pin on to the screw, and replace screw back in to the hole you removed it from.
#6 Use the pin you removed from the bottom right hand hinge,[the one with just a "slot" on the top] and screw in to the bottom left hand hinge, [being careful not to cross thread the screw!] tighten, and replace washer on to the pin.
#7 Place fridge door on to bottom left pin utilizing the hole in the bottom left side of the door. [The magnet on the inside of the fridge door will help "hold" the door in place, but I kept my hand on it to help secure it in place.]
#8 Align the door with the top left hinge and the hole at the top left of the door. Using the bolt you removed [the one with the 7/16 bolt top] place in to the top hinge and align with the hole in the door, [again, be careful not to cross thread] screw the bolt into the hinge and tighten.
#9 Check the swing on the door for smooth operation. 
#10 You're done, replace pin on top right hand side, turn the fridge back on & your're in business!
The plus side to doing this is that you can still access the fridge from the inside as well as the outside, and no more unnecessary going in & out, or making like Gumby to get things out of the fridge from the outside of the trailer.
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    It probably took longer for ericnliz to write up than it takes to do! This is a very easy mod and one of the best mods you can do if you cook and spend time outdoors!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Photomom, You're absolutely right, took longer for the "hunt & peck" well seasoned guy to type it out than to do, but thought I would share it anyway! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf