Options

Don't Want Boiling Antifreeze--Must Use the Alde Furnace Over Montana's Extended Winter Season

I have a 2016 Tab Outback Max S. I live in Montana and want to use the trailer during our extended winter. That means I will be using the Alde after the trailer has been winterized.  I've already emptied water using the Alde release valve, the freshwater tank drain valve, and both the gray and black water gate valves. I plan to use the antifreeze method of winterizing and do not want the hot water heater to be heating antifreeze all winter. I'm assuming that I should make sure that the hot water drain valve has been opened to allow water stored in the water water unit to drain, then close the Alde bypass valve and the hot water valve before pumping antifreeze into the rest of the system. Last year, the dealer winterized the trailer. When I was using the furnace, antifreeze was leaking out of the faucet. When I opened the cold water faucet, boiling hot antifreeze blew out. I do not want to have that happen again. But I do not want to damage any of the plumbing in the trailer over Montana's long winter. What procedure should I follow? (I do have a compressor, but have not used it before--willing to try if that would be more likely to be successful).

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    When you winterize with anti freeze you need to bypass the hot water heater so it doesn't fill with antifreeze.  Drain the system, including the hot water heater, then shut off the bypass valve.  Or switch to the blowout method, which is what I do.  It is a lot easier in my opinion.

You can run the Alde furnace without water in the hot water tank.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Thanks, ColoradoJon. Why do the instructions recommend removing the hoses on both sides of the water pump when using the blowout method?

• Options
    To allow water to drain from the pump and supply hoses.  I stuff a large towel underneath, undo the hoses, then 'blip' the pump on and off a couple of times.  This gets the water out of the pump.
  • Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Thanks, Coloradojon. I did not blip the water pump a couple of times, so I may go back to the storage facility and do so. Water came out the cold water tap (and later the hot water tap) when I blew out the lines, opening only one faucet/valve/hose connection at a time. I removed the hoses from each side of the water pump after I had made one complete circuit through all the faucets/valves/hose connections. Nothing dripped from the pump. Would that mean that the pump was empty?
  • Options
    Pretty much :).  The goal is to get most of the water out.  If a little is left behind it will not hurt anything.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited October 2016
    My water pump has a small plastic translucent cover you can unscrew which lets all water drain from it.  It's tough to unscrew the first time. 
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA