Options

Extended warranty for new TAB purchase

my dealer is strongly suggesting a five yr Platinum Extended Warranty costing $1,099.00. is this a good purchase or not?

Comments

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    For a $50,000+ fifth wheel.  Perhaps.  For a $20,000 T@B?  I wouldn't think so.  It is notoriously difficult to get money out of an RV extended warranty because of all the exclusions (many, of which are hidden in the "fine print.). If you don't have much risk tolerance and/or the spare change to handle the possible failures, an extended warranty will give you some protection, but you will probably have to fight for anything you need.  I paid a hefty sum for my fifth wheel, so I purchased a local extended warranty (the business is here in our region and the dealer has worked with the company for over 20 years) because there are many, expensive things that can go wrong after the one year warranty period.  Mine was a 7 year warranty and I paid about $1,600 for it.  I am waiting for my T@B to be delivered the first week of November.  I do not plan to purchase a warranty.  I'm thinking that anything that goes out that would be expensive is likely to happen in the first year.  My opinion, of course, but everyone's situation is different, so you'll need to assess how much risk you are willing to assume and plan accordingly.  By the way - a big reason I'm buying a T@B is because they appear to be well-built units.  About the most expensive thing that can go out is the "body;" e.g. Frame, walls, foundation, etc.  Being well-built would seem to imply the risk of these having a catastrophic failure is slim.  On the other hand, if your fridge or ALDE or whatever goes out, they are relatively inexpensive to replace.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We never buy extended warranties on anything. In my opinion they serve only to increase the dealer's profit. Instead, why not bank that $1100 against the day you do need to get something repaired.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Agree completely with both comments above.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    I wasn't offered an extended warranty when I ordered today. If they had offered, I would not have taken it. Too much money and you are right about saving for potential repairs.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Never an extended warranty here either.
    My brother purchased one on his camper and has regreted it - Anything and everything is like pulling teeth.