Options

Toilet issue

I'm camping for a few days and I decided to take advantage of COE (Corp of Engineer) and city campgrounds. Both sites, last night and today, have water at the campsite and electric (that's a change!). 

So last night I pulled into the city campground, using a head lamp, connected the brass "L" connected to the pressure relief connector to the T@B and the other end to the hose bib. I barely turned on the water, as usual. 

I ate, washed my dishes, flushed the toilet a couple of times, then went to bed early.  I got up in the middle of the night, lifted the toilet lid, sat down and jumped right back up--not used to having water up to the lip of the seat. Hummm...I flushed it, did my business and flushed it again and I heard nor saw absolutely no water coming into the toilet. The flap closed, the handle is where it belongs. When I got up this morning, the toilet was full again. 

I went outside, turned the water off, filled the fresh water tank and took my shower. When done, the toilet was filled about 1/2 full. So I turned the pump off and more water still came into the toilet.  

I emptied the fresh water tank to about 31%, went to the RV dump and dumped the black and gray tanks. I drove about 60 miles to the COE campground where I connected the water hose the same way. Within 15 minutes the toilet was 1/3 full of water , although it had the normal amount of water in the toilet after the trip. I turned the fresh water off at the hose bin and now I just have 25% fresh water tank full. 

I made sure to make the flap in the toilet snap shut and there is no unwanted water coming into the toilet right now. I'll leave the water hose off, no more fresh water added to the tank and in the am I'll turn the water on so I can take a shower.

Have any of you experienced this unwanted water filling the toilet (no mention of such incidents on the forum)?  It doesn't matter if it is fresh water from the hose or from the fresh water tank.

Have any of you former RV owners experienced this?  

Do I need a new rubber seal on the flap or a new toilet, or the customary "call PV" on Monday?

Thank you for your responses and help!
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Sorry to hear you're having some troubles...
    If you're talking the rubber flap / door in the bottom of the bowl, it seems ok as water is collecting in the bowl. Or are you talking a different rubber flap?
    Seems to me it'd be something in the flush lever not cutting the water flow off completely when released. Kinda like a dripping faucet.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, PXLated, the black rubber seal on the flap. I "think" the water comes in around the lip of the toilet like the ones at home, but I don't know what triggers what to stop the water flow. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I'm no help, but now you seem to have the T@B "bidet" feature, and at no charge! (And yes, I'm ducking, and running off in a serpentine manner...)
    I've never used a bidet, but somehow I don't think that was the way it was supposed to work ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Verna, I think PXLated is on the right track.  It is the water coming into the bowl from either direct water hook up, and fresh water tank.  It could be that the flush lever does not close off the incoming water completely when you flush.  It would be difficult to see just drip, drip, drip of water in a clean shiny bowl.  If you have internet, you could look up a blow up parts picture of the flush lever of your toilet model.  Or, call PV on Monday.  Could be all you need is a new flush handle installed.

Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Flush handle valve or maybe like a dripping faucet, just a rubber washer.
  • Options
    Just looked at mine - Hard place to get at but the handle goes to a water valve is what it looks like. Probably need a mirror to really see how it's hooked up exactly. Not obvious how you get the cover off to get at it.
  • Options
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    When the toilet at the house runs it's always the flapper/valve that lets water in. Doesn't the Thetford have a valve that lets water in when you pull the lever? It's probably not sealing.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom - Yep it does - That's what I was referring to above.
  • Options
    Thanks @Allie. That tells me that it's not going to be fixed on the road. I'll just have to keep the water level low in the fresh water tank and be careful. The black water tank can only hold so many bowl fills of water. 

@Photomom, it's not visible without taking it apart. I'll have to take it to an RV repair shop and have them take care of it. Ask my brother--he taught me plumbing...break 3 parts for every one you replace ;).  

@PXLated, you are right--I can't quite see everything behind the toilet. I did find the incoming water flow...duh < smacking forehead> ....lift up seat and the flow comes from the side closest to the outside wall. And, I cannot put more than 31% of water in the tank. I washed dishes, figured I needed more water for the night and kept coming inside to check the level. Not quite quick enough. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    From the attachment Allie posted...Mine is like this and that valve I reffered is #8...

• Options
    Yes, that is like mine (minus the bidet). There's too many parts for me and I'm sure the local hardware store wouldn't stock Thetford parts. I'll have to deal with it until I get home Tuesday. 

Thanks guys!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Oh come on, deal with it on the road - Good practice (like I'm getting) for your winter trip :-)
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    edited October 2016
    Ok. This is just a semi hare-brained idea, but valves like that can leak if there is debris between around the seal. It's not scientific, but it might do some goid to open and close it a few times. And maybe put a smidgeon more force when you move it to the closed position. I guess that's the RV equivalent of jiggling the handle. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'd go with what marknjudy said, for starters. Might have been some dirt in the connection at the COE site.

I replaced that valve assembly, it was easy, and it was surprisingly inexpensive to get the replacement part online. It was a kit, that included everything needed to remove and remount the toilet.

It's pretty necessary to pull the toilet in order to service the valve, but all very easy.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Well, I have tried the "wiggling" of the handle. I'll see tomorrow what happens.  Give me any challenge except for plumbing!

Thanks for everyone's help :)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    After reading several rv forums, "Stuck, leaky flush handle" much like marknjudy's diagnosis, is my guess.  Let us know how it goes...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Verna said:
    Well, I have tried the "wiggling" of the handle. I'll see tomorrow what happens.  Give me any challenge except for plumbing!

Thanks for everyone's help :)
    Agreed about plumbing challenges. Ever wonder why you never see companies with the name "Posiden Plumbing?" Because the God of plumbing is unforgiving - unlike the kind, logical God of electricity - Edison.  That's why you see tons of companies with "Edison" in their names.  "ComEd" come to mind?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    I called Marvin at the factory yesterday.  He will have the water module shipped to a RV repair /sales business nearby. Their first appointment is November 22, so it's a good thing I'm a patient person!  (If I'm not patient, that would mean a 700 mile round trip to the factory and back!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Am surprised you're not going to tackle it yourself.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I'm a woodworker, former telephone installer...water doesn't work with either of these . 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Sounds like you're up the creek without a paddle...   =):o
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Verna, Ah, come on, earn those water wings! :D
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2016
    Verna, I thought you were the adventurous type!?!  B)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    It is definitely the water control valve. The last time I had the problem. I installed a water shut off valve where the water line comes through the wall. That way in the future I can shut off the water to the toilet with out going outside. Just like any residential toilet.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    That's a great idea, Dale. Maybe the service guy can do it for me ;)

Give me wood, give me wire, give me AC or DC power, but please keep the water away!

@ChanW my siblings and I were just talking about how adventuresome I am.....with a few exceptions. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sounds like you're up the creek without a paddle...   =):o
    Wouldn't it be "in the bathroom without a flush"?
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Sorry if it's a dumb question, or has already been answered, but do you have a water pressure regulator installed on your incoming line?  Maybe the city water pressure is overburdening the toilet flush valve?
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    @wizard1880, yes, I have a pressure regulator and I use it. But, the toilet continues to run whether on city water or when using the fresh water tank. Marvin, who repairs the T@B's at the factory, is the one who determined what is wrong with the toilet. Dale concurs, as he has owned numerous RV's. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN