Options

Winter Camping Question

We are planning to do some winter camping in our Outback (2016), and I have a question about using the toilet: if we have winterized with antifreeze, is it possible to use the toilet and then drain it again and refill it when we return? Yes, a waste (sorry, no pun intended) of antifreeze, but we're camping off grid and so no campground bathrooms.
2016 Outback

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You could use wag bags.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Typical RV antifreeze does not perform well when diluted. What I've done with daytime temps above freezing, dipping below freezing overnight, is to wrap the exposed drainage parts with insulating material and prop the bathroom door open overnight to allow the Alde to heat the bathroom as well. I had some antifreeze in there filling the drain to the outlet valve, on the assumption (hope?) that the antifreeze would be sufficiently effective to keep the valve from freezing. Worked that time; your mileage may vary...
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Double Doodie bags work well for me on my trip to AZ until I get to warmer temps where I can use water. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VermonsterVermonster Member Posts: 80
    I have a folding frame with toilet seat, dig a hole, kitty litter, cover hole when I break camp.  Totally acceptable here anyway.  Currently camped in the GMNF for the week at about 2000 feet.  Two deer hunters camped about a half mile beyond us.  Otherwise haven't seen a soul all week.  Snow this weekend so will probably pull out. 
  • Options
    BooRadleyBooRadley Member Posts: 39
    Well...woke up the other day to find our water jug frozen solid, and the temp at 12, although the weather report said it would be 28. Enough of that!
    2016 Outback